Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Article about: Sorry, got no incredible SS rings/buckles/helmets to show here Instead I'll throw in some photographs of the ordinary surface finds I've come across in the vast wilderness of the northernmos

CSW
    ?

Continuing with the theme...

Soviet ration vodka bottle pieces found on a 1940 battlefield + a complete one from my collection.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

This one contained beer according to some people.

Found two fully intact examples poking out of the ground near a dugout last year - both are now in the collection of the local Winter War museum.

Gotta love that Soviet blue glass

CSW
    ?

Typing this post with my brand-new state-of-the-art keyboard

Found this close to a Luftwaffe airfield - quality stuff from Vienna, Austria.

If someone happens to find a picture of one of these Karl Zuza -marked typewriters in slightly better condition, please feel free to post it here! I'd love to see an intact example but wasn't able to find anything on Google myself.

CSW
    ?

The occasional not-so-nice find...

This early Soviet 50mm RM-38 mortar shell had spent the decades under a growing tree and had popped out of the ground when the tree fell during a storm earlier in the summer.

Period photos showing the same variant of ammunition below. Not large but dangerous nonetheless!

The spot was located less than 100 meters (330 ft) from a popular memorial, luckily I was able to find the round before anyone had tried to take it home as a souvenir...

As always, the authorities were immediately informed and soon arrived to inspect the item.

Dos
    ?

Great finds

Do you metal detect? Or is this only you visiting spots and showing items that you find on the surface?

That last shell seems rather dangerous. Especially near a monument this could have been a bad day for somebody. You did the right thing!

Great thread Nordlicht

CSW
    ?

Quote by Dos View Post
    Great finds

Do you metal detect? Or is this only you visiting spots and showing items that you find on the surface?

That last shell seems rather dangerous. Especially near a monument this could have been a bad day for somebody. You did the right thing!
    Thank you! I don't detect on battlefields, so yes, correct: these are all surface finds. I do own a detector (AT Pro) but only use it on fields, beaches and other places where I have permission to do so

CSW
    ?

Quote by Nordlicht44 View Post
    I do own a detector (AT Pro) but only use it on fields, beaches and other places where I have permission to do so
    On this note: here's one of the beach finds of the summer, a gorgeous Finnish 5 mk coin from 1938. Definitely a nice surprise amongst all the modern trash I usually find. Not strictly speaking a militaria item... unless it was dropped by a soldier on leave?

5 markka would have constituted one half of the daily allowance of enlisted men during the early-war years of 1939 and 1940. Had you decided to spend it, you would've been able to purchase, for example, one high-quality model 401 battery for your Pertrix flashlight (according to a 1937 catalogue)!

CSW
    ?

Another piece of UXO, this time a Soviet RGD-33 hand grenade in its so-called offensive configuration without the additional fragmentation sleeve.

Note the manufacturer's marking and the remains of the distinctive Soviet yellowish-green/vomit green paintwork still visible on the head.

A quick phone shot of how these dangerous finds are marked for the Border Guard if they are unable to arrive on the scene immediately. The flashier the color of the rag, the better. That particular day I only had white bandage available so that's what was used. Orange or red tape would naturally almost always be the best choice.

Wow.. amazing finds, Nordlicht! You are so lucky to live near all that cool history! It's crazy to me how all this stuff is just lying on the surface, very cool. Watch out S-mines though! Haha.

CSW
    ?

Quote by sweersz View Post
    Wow.. amazing finds, Nordlicht! You are so lucky to live near all that cool history! It's crazy to me how all this stuff is just lying on the surface, very cool. Watch out S-mines though! Haha.
    Thank you! Yes, I am quite lucky to live in this country, even though my home is located some 500-900 km south of these places and therefore I can only visit a few times a year. The relics out there are very fascinating indeed.

And yes, a live S-Mine is sitting pretty high on my list of items NOT to find

As a matter of fact, I do happen to have some S-Mine -related collectibles and would like to get an inert example if only the prices weren't so insane nowadays...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast