Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Article about: Sorry, got no incredible SS rings/buckles/helmets to show here Instead I'll throw in some photographs of the ordinary surface finds I've come across in the vast wilderness of the northernmos

An interesting place indeed
    Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Fascinating finds, as always Nordlicht44.
    I congratulate you, young friend.

Heimdall:Thanks for sharing. Very interesting finds and scenery!!

Very cordial greetings.
    Santi

Dear Nordlicht,

Great finds, great threat and great your caution about dangerous things. For the China shown at your post from August 14, 2020: It's Rosenthal from Selb in Bavaria and according to my sources its brand Bahnhof Selb, it's a very famous German chinaware producer which have continued its business up to today.

Maybe you have some info about the medal with the skier shown at your last post?

I wish you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Alter Musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

I hope these places remain "unharmed".. The good thing is that these are deep in the wilderness.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland
    Gulaschkanone
    Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

That Ull medallion is Norwegian counterpart of the German ullr medal, which was apparently popular souvenir among Gebirgsjägers.

"In Germanic mythology Ullr is the main ski god of the 19th and 20th century; his character helped to establish a feeling of common identity among skiing pioneers in Norway and Central Europe, who prayed to him to insure the earth will be covered with snow, protecting it from winter's harm. In the United States, ski towns throw parties and parades in his honor.

Ullr medals have been popular with European skiers for over 100 years; they wear them for protection from harm while on the mountain."

CSW
    ?

Heimdall, thank you for the images!

Interesting finds, I've seen some of your items on Instagram already. I would, however, encourage you not to detect illegally around the area: the last time I visited this particular location, it was in absolutely disgusting shape with man-made holes everywhere and modern trash left lying around by black diggers.

Furthermore, I am sure the very helpful museum authorities of Finland would certainly like to hear about your discoveries. I recommend contacting them (if you haven't yet, that is). Thanks a lot mate!

Cheers! E.
    Last edited by CSW; 01-27-2021 at 08:05 PM.

CSW
    ?

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    Dear Nordlicht,

Great finds, great threat and great your caution about dangerous things. For the China shown at your post from August 14, 2020: It's Rosenthal from Selb in Bavaria and according to my sources its brand Bahnhof Selb, it's a very famous German chinaware producer which have continued its business up to today.

Alter Musketier
    Thank you very much for the comment and the likes AM! I appreciate it. Wishing you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year as well!

Don't worry. I don’t dig anywhere where I don’t have permission to do so. I know the laws and history is a passion. I do basically the same thing as you do, I take pictures.

That place is in terrible condition. In recent years, the devastation has been enormous everywhere.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland
    Burned LW warehouse, ruined and gone

CSW
    ?

Glad to hear that! And yeah, that is unfortunately the sad reality. The more publicity these places get the worse the decay...

Quote by Heimdall View Post
    That Ull medallion is Norwegian counterpart of the German ullr medal, which was apparently popular souvenir among Gebirgsjägers.

"In Germanic mythology Ullr is the main ski god of the 19th and 20th century; his character helped to establish a feeling of common identity among skiing pioneers in Norway and Central Europe, who prayed to him to insure the earth will be covered with snow, protecting it from winter's harm. In the United States, ski towns throw parties and parades in his honor.

Ullr medals have been popular with European skiers for over 100 years; they wear them for protection from harm while on the mountain."
    Dear Heimdall,

Thank you very much for info. And sorry for mistaking your likewise interesting post.

Alter Musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast