Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Forest Finds in NE France 2009

Article about: As per my recent posts, please find below some of the items i saw in French forests last week. I have no metal detector and don`t dig, this is all just seen on the floor of the forest......i

Default Re: Forest Finds in NE France 2009

Divisionazul, I read the same article and that's what gave me the thought.

The picture showing the shuvels;
    are they WWI or did they belong to a earlyer "Forestwalker" who hit an ordonance??

[QUOTE=kungfuty;43402]If you believe that any German car is hard to work on then try working on a 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom 11. (QUOTE]
    What is hard to work on; on a German car??
    I love the Rolls, I would love to own one ....one day.
    Thinking of buying a London Cab at thise momment.

Thanks for the article Divisionazul, interesting read. Just goes to show even experienced collectors/hunters sometimes make a fatal error. All the wars ordnance from all conflicts still claim victims every year, take care out there !

?

About a year ago , a friend of mine who does battlefield tours took me to the Somme and also to visit the numerous cemetarys, some of which are in little wooded areas, as we pullede upto a car park we saw about a dozen heavy calibre shells beside a low wall, these are what the farmers plough up almost weekly, one of these shells ,about three foot high was painted a funny pink colour, he told me that this was a mustard gas shell and that the french bomb disposal teams regulary drive around the area and take all the shell found away for disposal. About 6months before a farmer drove his heavy tractor over a mustard bommb shell and it exploded killing him. a small village about 1/2 mile away had to be evacuated because of the gas cloud that floated that way. so he said it was reported that several people die ayear because of the unexploded ordenance beig dug up or interfered with .Just leave well alone!!

?

Gas shells at the Ulster tower on the Somme with the Bomb disposal unit !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forest Finds in NE France 2009  
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Gas shells at the Ulster tower on the Somme with the Bomb disposal unit !!
    I believe that these are actually gas cannisters not shells, they have taps pn the top and are operated by hand. The wind was relied upon to blow the gas towards the enemy. Too bad if the direction of the wind changed suddenly

Thanks

Danny

Interesting posts guys, I am back off to France in a month or so, will post some pics of what I see then, really looking forward to it !!

just a follow on re the unexploded stuff i was on a military battlefield tour where we were following our pals battalions in france ,the guide was a professer from sandhurst and had us in tears with his storys we were of course all warned to stay away from the stuff but 6 months down the line the professer took home a grenade and it killed him when he was trying to make it safe and it was one of ours as well to add injury .

just a follow on re the unexploded stuff i was on a military battlefield tour where we were following our pals battalions in france ,the guide was a professer from sandhurst and had us in tears with his storys we were of course all warned to stay away from the stuff but 6 months down the line the professer took home a grenade and it killed him when he was trying to make it safe and it was one of ours as well to add injury .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast