Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found metal detecting -any ideas please?

Article about: Hi all Recently found these on an outing when visiting family in Germany, they look like mortar container lids but are not a “push on” fit they have lugs underneath and would appear to be a

Default Found metal detecting -any ideas please?

Hi all
    Recently found these on an outing when visiting family in Germany, they look like mortar container lids but are not a “push on” fit they have lugs underneath and would appear to be a “ twist lock fit” - anyone recognise what these sre from?
    Thanks
    MarkFound metal detecting -any ideas please?Found metal detecting -any ideas please?

CBH
    ?

To me it looks like the cap for the gun cleaning tube used on Panther Tanks, to protect the cleaning brushes.
    Often seen on the left side of Panther tanks sometimes moved to back of the hull.
    It's a place to start anyway, exact measurements would help.
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes dimensions would help but they do look very similar to barrel cleaning covers as CBH suggests.

The dimensions are shown below the cap is 12.5cm approx.
    Thanks for the suggestion be so cool if it is that, fingers crossed!
    Regards
    MarkFound metal detecting -any ideas please?Found metal detecting -any ideas please?

CBH
    ?

Here are some photos, from a Panther book I have.
    Yours looks like it is starting to degrade , you should check the forum for threads about stabilizing dug relics, you can see increasing rust from the first to the second group of photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found metal detecting -any ideas please?   Found metal detecting -any ideas please?  

Hi Chris
    Many thanks for the pics it definitely looks like this is it, no its not degrading the pics are the wrong way round the rusty measured ones were before i did any cleaning and as found, the ones showing the hint of yellow paint are following some very light cleaning.
    Thanks again for your help and time, very much appreciated and i will check the forum regarding preserving your finds as that will be very useful.

Hi all
    Just got this out the electrolysis bath and as found near the above lids could this also be a tank part? Have put some measurements on as well ?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found metal detecting -any ideas please?   Found metal detecting -any ideas please?  

Found metal detecting -any ideas please?   Found metal detecting -any ideas please?  

CBH
    ?

I looked through my Panther book, but I couldn't find anything similar.
    It could be an internal piece which would be hard to ID.

ok many thanks Chris have a godd weekend!
    Regards
    Mark

With the ID of my other part could these lids be from the front section of a German AB250 or AB500 cluster bomb container, also the blocks above could they have been used to secure the metal banding in them?
    Just a thought!
    Thanks
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast