Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.

Article about: I recovered these (aircraft engine) cowl flaps a few years ago. I believe they're from a C47 Dakota, my reasoning being they used the airfield the most during the war period. I have also inc

Default Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.

I recovered these (aircraft engine) cowl flaps a few years ago. I believe they're from a C47 Dakota, my reasoning being they used the airfield the most during the war period. I have also included for for comparison a few pictures taken last year of the aircraft in the Airborne Museum St Mere Eglise Normandy.

1) The three different engine cowl flaps, notice that two have cut outs to enable fitting to specific positions around the mounted engine, also note that the top one has what appears to be battle damage perhaps caused by shrapnel (perhaps the reason why it was discarded to the dump).
    2) Slightly different angle to show more detail.
    3) The best two, external painted surfaces.
    4) One still retains the remains of the printed label, marked [B]ASSEMBLY [B]followed by a number (sadly not all readable)??16872 3?.
    5) This is the external surface of the cowl flap showing the explosion/shrapnel? damage. Note it also retains some of it's original paint.
    6) The internal surface showing the damage. The damage marked A was caused by something hitting it probably shrapnel on the other (external) side a glancing blow causing a dent and split. The damage marked B is actually caused by a small piece of shrapnel that passed straight through, but strangely from the internal side. This may have been caused when the cowl was open due to hot engine and the explosion perhaps flak occurred behind the aircraft blowing shrapnel forward through this cowl. Interesting to have a piece with damage to both internal and external sides.
    7) The same flap showing the external side, the damage marked A and B is the same as previous.
    8) Close up of the best preserved pull point. Notice the impressed number.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.   Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.  

Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.   Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.  

Default Re: Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.

(Cont)

9) Close up of side one showing number 1230.
    10) The other side with number 330.
    11) The C47 at St Mere Eglise Normandy.
    12), 13), 14) Various close up views of its engine cowl's.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.   Interesting WW2 USAF Airfield finds.  

nice finds, made even more interesting by the flak damage, thanks for showing

he luckystrike

houwe was your stay at normandy
    for me it was a experience i`ll never forget

been there twice and i am planning to go again soon
    one time i experienced the parades there

i met 4 very nice veterans in houlgate 3 were from wales
    and 1 from the usa
    also there was a woman who had here housbands medalls and uniform sadly enoufh here hossband died 2 months before they would go to normandie got 1 really big kiss from here my right cheek still glows now and then

1 of them fought at ijmuiden and at arnhem
    only i didnt hear the half of the story got a heavy wallis english

cheers
    sorry for misspeld english

Hi Wehrmachtsman,
    Thanks for your post, your english is good.
    I love visiting Normandy, lucky for me I live in the South of England so its easy for me to jump on a ferry and pop over for a visit. I usually try to go at least once but sometimes twice a year, I've been so many times now that when I arrive its like I'm going home if it makes sense, I like the Cidre too!!!!.
    But I've never been there for the 6th June as such but have met veterans British Para's and US servicemen. I even got invited to a Town liberation party for 50th Anniversary just because I was English,I drank Champagne with the Mayor and Veterans.
    A couple of years ago a friend of mine who was visiting La Cambe Cemetery noticed a coach of Veterans arrive so he went over to speak to them and was lucky enough to meet Michael Wittmanns wife who was over to visit his grave.

It's sad that the vet died two months before his visit was due but I'm sure it helped his wife to go over and visit the sites, in the company of the other veterans.
    Best Wishes
    LUCKYSTRIKE

thanks for telling

i hope to meat here again in houlgate
    for anothor shot of interesting stories and ofcourse
    i am going to saint mere englise again

last year they did a para jump near by st mr eglise
    very very exciting all in authentic tunics
    even some vets grabed a garand to fire some blanks

didt you visit the guns shop there
    friking expencife hè

cheers and maybe i`ll see you in normandie
    give me a heads up when you go

oh i also met a figurant from the longest day near the bunker of pluscat he gave me some info about the film and a signature
    [he was a german infanterist in the film so ended up whit ketchup]