Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 battle damaged helmet

Article about: Hi I found this one in Normandy about ten years back. It has the remnants of the Heer decal and entry, exit holes.

Default M35 battle damaged helmet

Hi

I found this one in Normandy about ten years back. It has the remnants of the Heer decal and entry, exit holes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 battle damaged helmet   M35 battle damaged helmet  

M35 battle damaged helmet   M35 battle damaged helmet  

M35 battle damaged helmet   M35 battle damaged helmet  

M35 battle damaged helmet  

I would imagine that the damage is probably caused by shrapnel?

This helmet was found near ForĂȘt domaniale des Andaines.

Quote by Bonecollector View Post
    I would imagine that the damage is probably caused by shrapnel?
    Yes, there was seemingly a lot of it about .......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Indeed

When you consider the weightiness of these M35s.....this illustrates the force that shrapnel strikes !
    Paul

It does. It looks pretty nasty, even this gives little protection.

Found the Counterpart. (This one must have been an Officer)M35 battle damaged helmetM35 battle damaged helmet

Wow that's really something. Steel helmets didn't really provide much protection did they but I suppose that it was better than nothing

TWS
    ?

Quote by Bonecollector View Post
    Wow that's really something. Steel helmets didn't really provide much protection did they but I suppose that it was better than nothing
    Steel helmets of both WWI and WWII were not intended to provide protection against a directly striking rifle or machine gun bullet. The mass of steel required would have been impractical - too great for a soldier to bear, in other words.

They were fairly effective against some ricochet bullets or bullets fired from such a distance that their kinetic energy was mostly spent. But they were mainly intended to provide protection against a fairly wide spectrum of, but certainly not all, shrapnel.

I have in my collection a German M40 helmet that the US Army veteran grandfather of a childhood friend brought back. Some years after the war, they put it on a post and shot at it with .22 caliber rounds. Those dented the helmet, but did not penetrate, aside for one round fired that hit right where the visor meets the shell and managed to produce a crack. That one may have been fired from foolishly close, but I don't know. Of course, a .22 round does not have the kinetic energy of typical rounds fired within their effective range that soldiers faced on WWII battlefields, but it is interesting to see how they did not penetrate the helmet.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast