Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Nice finds. Lovely little brass item

Steve T

Thanks Steve and John for the

As always Paul thanks for the positive ID on the brass item.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Hiya chaps, may be barking up the wrong tree but going back to the Radome... (If I've worked out this picy uploader....), I was thinking along these lines. The dome under the nose. Obviously the shape of the dome changed on other models of the Shackleton but this one was the closest I could find on a quick search.

Martyn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..  

P.S. I know Shackletons not used 'til 1951 .

Adrian, e-mail that you and Whitehunter may be able to use

Martyn.

Martyn,

Thanks for the picture and the time it took you to find, it certainly looks similar to the radome we found.

All the Best.

LUCKYSTRIKE

I returned to the site at the weekend and spent a few hours searching, its proved quite sparse but there stuff in a thin seam all over the area.
    I haven't had a chance to clean the few finds I made but took a few in the soil type pictures.

First item is a nicely stenciled NAAFI enameled bowl, the bottoms gone so I didn't keep it.

There are lots of fragments of dated cups and plates but this one came out almost complete with only a small slither missing from the handle, so it came home with me.

I like this a half pint beer jug, all complete but cracked. It came out just next to the cup.

Now 'What's that?' a glimpse of green only just caught my eye as I dumped the next shovel of spoil on the pile. A gentle hand excavation followed, my heart beating fast and hard was it a b......

Yes it is an RAF cap badge and what a wonderful verdigis green colour, My trip was worth while just for this.

This caught my eye, and no I didn't keep it. A bakelite toilet lid.

A vehicle engine with gear box attached not sure whether its contemporary or post war. The gloves mine for scale (No I didn't keep it)

Spark plugs were marked Dodge or Lodge, hard to tell with all the muck.

A few more will follow.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Here are the last few

This was a surprise, its a third of a tommy helmet. Notice the spring type arrangement for securing the strap to the helmet? The white colour is caused by corrosion rather than paint.

The next couple of pictures show a layer of chaff or 'Window'. It was a metallic foil cut in different ways/thicknesses to create different confusing images jamming enemy radar. It was dropped by a wide variety of aircraft.

The stuff kept coming out in clumps like this, I kept a few.

Last picture shows a large paint tin, I dug up loads of these most had originally contained a dark kharki green paint judged from the runs down the outside (The picture looks slightly lighter than in real life). The rest about a one third contained a light blue paint the same colour as used on aircraft undersides. I'm kicking myself now for not taking a picture of a blue type never mind next time. I didn't keep any of these

Thats it for now.
    Most of my finds were out of the ground and in my bag before I thought to photograph them so Ill be posting pictures of the cleaned stuff as soon as possible.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..  

Nice finds there that man! Pity the beer glass was cracked as it would be something of a kick to have refilled it. Having said that, I suspect you'd prefer it to be a pint and not a half!

Are the lugs still on the back of the badge? I hope it cleans up well for you. The picy was courtesy of those nice people on 'Wiki'. Not always accurate but a fairly good source of info' when needs must.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Yes the badge retains its lugs but they're a little mishapen but the pin is missing.

All the best.

LUCKYSTRIKE

?

The Elsan loos were used on most of the larger bombers - I remember having to be persuaded to carry one down from a moorland Stirling crash site many years ago & recall the lid was just like that one!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast