Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pot belly stove...

Article about: That looks very much like the bottom of a Romesse stove. LINKY ETA: These were certainly used in airfield buildings, but I can't find the period photos showing them right now.

Default pot belly stove...

im pretty sure i uneathed the remains of one of the origional airfield stoves, however, as the buildings were used extensively after the war as temporary housing it may be as late as the mid 50s early 60s, has any kind gentleman got any pictures of the raf nissen hut stoves they could post a picture up please, didnt take any pics and didnt drag it home thought id find out first but i cant find any pics to compare it to..... many thanks guys

Default Re: pot belly stove...

Well, they all looked pretty similar to be honest.

Here's some types of stove that I found after a quick search on the ol' web.

pot belly stove...

pot belly stove...

pot belly stove...

Couldn't find anything specifically that the military used but it is very common to find bits of them at old barracks sites and the like.

Steve T

Thanks Steve, do well..... i no its not the most exciting thing but i came across it about a year ago beside an accomodation site in a ditch, from memory it was the bottom half of the stove similar to the first pic you have posted. Might take the argocat out for a spin and go recover it along with one of the concrete plinths that the stoves were sat on..

There must have been thousands of these made during the war, i wondered what companys were producing theses?

I spoke to a guy who remembers an army camp down here,also used after the war for accomodation.He mentioned seeing stoves just lying around after its demolishion.He also mentioned having snowball fights with asbestos

?

Portway No.2 and No.3 Tortoise Stoves were pretty common.

Recovered the stove today but camera battery is flat so il take a pic tomow..... This is not like the portway PB so im not so sure this is an origional stove afterall. Was there any other types that british airfields were supplied with in quantities?

?

The one pictured at the bottom of THIS page was also used, among others, but I haven't found a maker for it as yet.

Thanks thats a beaut but not the same as mine. I did find a few pieces from the portway stoves near by and a couple of the top hats from the stove pipes. got a feeling the one i brought home today may not be a genuine one but if i post a pic tomow perhaps you can cast an eye on it and give me your opinion if you have seen one before ? touch wood....

?

Sure, no problem.

here you go, let me no your opinions please.
    many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture pot belly stove...   pot belly stove...  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast