Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Safety precautions for ww2 battlefields??

Article about: I (unfortunately) have never been to europe and have never metal detected on a ww2 site. My experience is limited to us civil war sites in south carolina, USA. When metal detecting in europe

Question Safety precautions for ww2 battlefields??

I (unfortunately) have never been to europe and have never metal detected on a ww2 site. My experience is limited to us civil war sites in south carolina, USA. When metal detecting in europe, do you take any special precautions on a ww2 site to avoid unexploded ordnance?? Just curious, Thanks, Bill

Default Re: Safety precautions for ww2 battlefields??

Bill

Dig slowly and walk away from anything you're not 100% sure of what it is. Oh, and don't hit anything with your spade 'to test it' or bash things against trees to knock loose rust off. Many relic hunters in europe dig to the side of a detection then move towards it to avoid impacting on anything whilst digging.

Other than that, have fun and remember, if it looks like a grenade, smells like a grenade and fizzes like a grenade, it bloody well IS a grenade !

Steve T

Mind the restrictions as well. You are not allowed to dig on every battelfield .
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Safety precautions for ww2 battlefields??Agreed - this was actually on the surface in Normandy and I suspect was safe but nevertheless a find left well alone. I do wonder whether I was not the first to give it a wide berth......

David (England and part-time Normandy)

Jan
    ?

When I was young in the 1970´s and early 80´s it was mostly a question of just picking up stuff lying visible on the ground. I was well aware of the dangers of live ammunition and usually didnt venture into any big scale digging. I later became an archaeologist and now I use experts in my team (mostly military). I wouldnt advise anyone to do it the Russian way hacking... into the soil .Always make sure you follow the law and regulations.

Cheers Jan

Jan
    ?

Quote by billers View Post
    Safety precautions for ww2 battlefields??Agreed - this was actually on the surface in Normandy and I suspect was safe but nevertheless a find left well alone. I do wonder whether I was not the first to give it a wide berth......

David (England and part-time Normandy)
    This is exactly the type of "find" that would need to be reported to the authorities. Before some kid throws it into a rock.

Rgds Jan

Jan is quite right. I reported this to the farmer who had let me onto his land. It was certainly not there a few weeks later. David