Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some more Somme finds

Article about: Hi all. All of these items were found whilst walking the edges of a couple of fields near to the Thiepval memorial, on the site of the Leipzig salient. The 3 .303s are an exception as they w

Default Some more Somme finds

Hi all. All of these items were found whilst walking the edges of a couple of fields near to the Thiepval memorial, on the site of the Leipzig salient. The 3 .303s are an exception as they were given to me by the owner of the camp site we were staying at, they are interesting as they show signs of a link at the bottom, identifying them as MG ammo. Also is a chunk of old (I think Roman) pottery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some more Somme finds  

Default Re: Some more Somme finds

The three 303's look in good condition. Shame about the lebel next to them.....that looks rather damaged

The other 3 cartridge cases are not, as you're probably aware, 303's. Can you still read the headstamps ? As a rule of thumb, if they're roughly the same size as the 303's they will be German 7.92's. If they're bigger than the 303's, then they're 30-06 cartridges. The headstamp will tell you for sure.

Cheers

Steve T

Those Romans hung about for a long time waiting for a punch up, John.

The 3 .303s are from 5 round charger clips, the rust at the bottom will be from the charger, not links as the Vickers gun used material belts, the Lewis used magazines and the hotchkiss used a feed tray. The 2 balls are from shrapnell shells, 18pounders? Anyone?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The 3 .303s are from 5 round charger clips, the rust at the bottom will be from the charger, not links as the Vickers gun used material belts, the Lewis used magazines and the hotchkiss used a feed tray. The 2 balls are from shrapnell shells, 18pounders? Anyone?
    Yep, I'd agree with that, and add that there's a nice looking porcelain pull for the stick grenade also. And what looks to be a flare cartridge.
    Be careful with the .303's if you're gonna de-head them, do it with a kinetic hammer don't just pull the head off, reason being the brass is fragile and will split down the casing. Just empty the cordite (Mk7) or powder Mk7z) and drop a little engine oil onto the primer, that will kill it

Cheers for the info. Yes, I see what you mean about the .303s, I should have thought of that. I have de- headed the bullets and it worked out ok. apart from the lebel round which was cracked any way

Oh and the thing that looks like a flare cartridge, im not sure what it is, will post some more pics of it as i would like to know

One little information :

Some more Somme finds
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

When you find bullets and the like, in the Somme battlefields, you will not be far away from heavier ordnance..

Unexploded ordnance.

I didn't look out for bullets/shells when I was there.

I came home in one piece, completely intact

Be careful my friend.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some more Somme finds   Some more Somme finds  

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 12-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast