Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are these possibly German Positions?

Article about: Hello Forum, I‘ve recently bought an metal detector and started going out and searching for battlefield relics, I sadly live too far away from any major battles, so my searching ground is

Default Are these possibly German Positions?

Hello Forum,
    I‘ve recently bought an metal detector and started going out and searching for battlefield relics, I sadly live too far away from any major battles, so my searching ground is limited.
    There is a battlefield not that far from me though, that lasted only one day, but involved about 13 Tanks, 2.200 German Infantrymen and much more US Soldiers and Tanks. It was a last time effort from the Germans to make a counterattack, that completely failed because they had insufficient resources at that point.

I‘m completely new on this topic, so I would like your opinion on this formation that is very near to the battlefield and could be German position in my opinion.
    Are these possibly German Positions?Are these possibly German Positions?Are these possibly German Positions?Are these possibly German Positions?

There was a structure very similar right next to it, which i didnt photograph.
    The hole has a distinct rectengular shape, and a wall of dirt next to it on either side, probably consisting of excavation material. It has two "floors" one is deeper, ends abrubptly and then goes up about half a meter.
    I did not find anyhing with my detector in this area, but maybe the germans just didnt shoot at this exact position, as the place they where the fighting started was a bit further away.

I found a screw a bit further away, which has some similarities to K98k screws, but its definitly not one, and i cant say if its warime or later sadly.

What do you think? And do you have any tipps for me as a detector newbie that could me help making my first good find?
    All help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Adravor

?

What / where is the location ?
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I would rather tell not the exact position, but it is in a position where the germans definitly advanced trough, the battelfield, which is a small unimportant town that was occupied by the americans at that point is probably 1-2 kilometers away, but clearly visible trough the trees.
    My research shows that the germans did only move at night, and they had advanced from their main base of operation about 7km away, with Stugs and a Panther as well as a few other Motorized vehicles, they completly suprised the americans, so the infantry probably moved in the cover of the woods.

From the size this looks similar to positions built to emplace armoured vehicles in a hull down position.

Main detecting tip is to get your coil as close to the ground as possible and set it to all metals, so you don't miss anything. You will find lots of shrapnel to begin with. Be careful to dig around signals in case you dig live ordnance!!

Thank you very much, i had a smilar thought, but as i didnt find anything except the screw i wasnt too sure if it could be something like this. No shrapnel or other signals yet, but that place looks somewhat promising, so i will try searching again soon. I´ll try to be as carful as i can!

Very interesting Adravor. Looking forward to seeing what you find. You might also like to try talking to some older locals as they may have knowledge about likely areas of occupation. But as BlackCat said, be very careful as you never know what could be still buried beneath the surface.
    Andy

If you not search in Bavaria you need a license to search there
    Be careful if you found grenades, weapons, mines and other warstuff because they can explode
    BR
    Bavarian

I've searched similar emplaced positions will little success. Drop me a pm if I can help with the events you look for.

These positions might have been never used or even unfinished. Best chance of success is to try to trace the battle with after-action reports, ideally with maps that you can then compare with Google Earth.

I searched a bit more around that area, and found something that might be shrapnel, Its a big, slightly curved piece of metal, and I found other signals in the same region I couldn’t dig yet, as the cheap Spade I owned broke in two pieces...
    I have now bought an original NVA Spade, which should be way more qualified for the job.

Are these possibly German Positions?Are these possibly German Positions?

I also searched for more positions, in the next part of the woods, situated directly infront of the village I was searching at, and found about 4-5 more positions all directly at the edge of the forest, with a perfect look at the village. Sadly most of them where used as dumps Post-War, and thus are filled with trash dating from the DDR period.

The Woods the positions where in.

The view of the village, seen from the positions.

One of the positions, pointing right to the village.

Another, further back position where i found -
    These Naiils, no idea if they are WW2 related, but i have never seen Nails like this before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast