Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Tirpitz armour piece -- origin (pictures)

Article about: Hello all, new member but impressed by the wealth of information in this forum, and trying to leverage the collective expertise here ... I recently acquired a piece of armour (apparently) fr

?

Default Tirpitz armour piece -- origin (pictures)

Hello all, new member but impressed by the wealth of information in this forum, and trying to leverage the collective expertise here ... I recently acquired a piece of armour (apparently) from battleship Tirpitz from a collector on a popular auction site ... I'm trying to find details on the origin of the steel fragment I included in the pictures attached ... it has all the markings of the museum in Tromso, and I heard (online search) that parts were being sold by either a salvage company and/or the museum at some point in the 1990s ... however when I reached out to the museum in Tromso they claim they never sold any steel pieces. Would appreciate any information, confirmation or background story you may have that would help me trace back the history of this piece, and in particular whether it is authentic or fake ... Thanks in advance for your input!

A few more details:
    - at 1.7 kg the weight is consistent with steel
    - the year in the 1st picture is 1994 (perhaps a 50th anniversary commemorative piece?)
    - thickness is 30mm (quite exactly)
    - research on the Bismarck class battleships protection indicate 30mm armour was used indeed for longitudinal splinter (torpedo) bulkheads

In truth it could be any old piece of metal with a bit of writing on it to link it to the Tirpitz. Maybe you should take heed of what the museum says?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    In truth it could be any old piece of metal with a bit of writing on it to link it to the Tirpitz. Maybe you should take heed of what the museum says?
    +1, Always buy the item not the story

There was a number of these and bolts etc being sold on ebay all being sold as off the Tirpitz and just junk pieces being sold as such to make more money and a con that's been going on for a number of years now

Very difficult to substantiate the origin when acquired via a third or fourth party. Bits of the Tirpitz were still to be found on the edge of the fjord 20 years ago. I've no idea what is left now.