Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!

Article about: thanks for a great day out Tim! my finds of the day.....unopened Carlisle tin,steralising unit base,hypodermic syringe needle..& LOTS of bottles! Al

Default Re: US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!

im going as fast as i can, should have some pictures up in the next few days

Still cleaning most of my finds, if any one could help on the dog tag please do.

Sorry if the pictures aren't very good. It reads:

MANFORD L FOLTZ
    37152647 T42 A
    HENRY L FOLTZ
    221 1ST A?VE
    SPEARFISH S D P

Many thanks,
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!   US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!  

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Still cleaning most of my finds, if any one could help on the dog tag please do.

Sorry if the pictures aren't very good. It reads:

MANFORD L FOLTZ
    37152647 T42 A
    HENRY L FOLTZ
    221 1ST A?VE
    SPEARFISH S D P

Many thanks,
    John
    Thats fascinating John! I know "AP" stands for blood group "A" Positive and the 8 digit number was probably his service number "T42" i dont know about that and the other parts look like name with part of a US address and a next of kin name??? This makes research quite possible as the US archives should be able to give you some ideas on this. Spearfish-wasnt that a submarine or US Naval vessel??? Its cleaned up a treat and what an fantastic item to have found. That site is still turning up some surprises all these years on brilliant! Regards, Tim.

Hi all,

"SPEARFISH S D P" may refer to Spearfish, South Dakota.
    This then looks like an address of possibly next of kin.

Regards to all, Simon.

"T 42" refers to the date of tetanus injection.

Simon is correct on the Next of Kin details.

Heres a couple of pictures of some tools I found, they cleaned up pretty good and the extractors I managed to loosen them off and get them working and they are very nice, marked 18 R my guess is 18 is the tooth and R is for right hand pull as you can only use them in your right hand.

Whitehunter, the tags cleaned up nicely, I dived in to the hole as soon as you left , you wont believe it but I manged to find.....naff all, well done on the find son, do you want to swap up for some 303s ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!   US Army Dump Dig Finds and Pictures!  

So we have name MANFORD L FOLTZ
    service no 37152647
    date of tetanus injection T42
    and next of kin HENRY L FOLTZ, 221 1ST AVE, SPEARFISH SOUTH DAKOTA P

Wonder if there is anyone left at this house? I think it is worth writing to the address.

Regards, Simon.

?

Might be worth Googling the address first to see if it still exists and going from there Simon.

Ian D

Ian, quickly googled name and address and the Foltz family have a lot of history in the area. Henry Foltz is mentioned aswell.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Hi John,
    You've done a great job cleaning your tag up, it's an early war type and rarer than the later ones which dropped the next of kin details. The reason being they thought it gave away too much info if they were ever taken prisonner. My guess is it ended up in the tip because it was replaced with the new style. If that is the reason, then there's a good chance others were dumped at the same time!!!
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast