Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Article about: Hey guys Well i simply couldn't WAIT to post here today, given i have found what i think is the most exciting thing i have EVER found ! I haven't even had time to clean everything properly y

Default WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Hey guys

Well i simply couldn't WAIT to post here today, given i have found what i think is the most exciting thing i have EVER found !

I haven't even had time to clean everything properly yet so my apologies for only showing some of the finds.....I am just too excited.

You can tell from the title I have been back to my WW2 airfield. This airfield is in amazing condition and is also almost untouched by relic hunters like me. It was RAF and then handed to the USAAF half way through the war so i get a mix of finds.

Take a look and PLEASE SOMEONE put my mind at ease.....am I right about the exciting find ????

First some pictures of the digging in action.

OK....HERE IS MY EXCITING FIND IN THE GROUND. I DIDN'T JUST FIND ONE OF THESE THINGS.....I FOUND THREE WITHIN ABOUT 5 FEET OF EACH OTHER !!!!

Ok...here is what i found after 4 hours of detecting.....

And here is some of it after i gave the stuff an initial clean.....

SO HERE ARE MY MOST EXCITING FINDS. THREE OF THE LITTLE BUGGERS !!! SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM FOR ME THAT THEY ARE INDEED THE EXHAUST PORTS FROM A MERLIN ENGINE !!

Ok.....i've calmed down a bit now. Onto the other stuff

A 30 calibre rifle case....unfired but empty.

Some 50 calibre bullets....and yet AGAIN another of those damn cut through ones. What on EARTH did the men do this for ? Anyone know ?

Some 50 calibre casings to go with the bullets....

A blass plate off something. Can anyone help ??

Another one of those caps I found. It maybe a fuel filler or glycol cap. This one's in better condition than the last one i found. Anyone confirm what it is ?

A gasket for one of the exhaust ports !!!!

Another bomb kidney plate (this time in two pieces.....it wasn't me ! Honest ! I found it like that !)

A silver plate thingy....anyone any idea what it could be ? Some intersting markings on it to.

A slide cover for a hydraulic braking system !

And lastly a small tin of snuff !!!

That's it !! Hope you like the finds and can help me !!!

relichunter

grndskeeper
    ?

Default Re: WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

WOW!

I'd be chuffed too with finds like that!

Merlin engines were made by Rolls-Royce, Ford and Packard and used in Hurricanes, Spitfires, Mosquitos, Lancasters and Mustangs (off the top of my head). So despite not knowing if the base was a fighter or bomber station, it's still likely that those are indeed some form of Merlin exhaust pipes (check my attached pic).

What's also cool in your pieces are that tapered-weathering seems evident -- where they would've passed-through the cowling?

Nice finds!
    Willie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !  

grndskeeper

Thanks for that.....the base was a fighter base and i know that Spitfires were stationed there until 1942, then Lightnings, then Mustangs. There are no markings on the pipes unfortuately....otherwise this may indicate their source.

I too have found a photo !

What do you think ? Match or not !!!

relichunter

?

That is the 100 percent a aircraft wreck there!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Ok guys here are the markings on the Hydraulic slide cover..........

THE BRITISH MADE
    LOCKHEED
    HYDRAULIC
    BRAKING SYSTEM
    Manufactured under licence by
    Automotive products company
    3 berners st, london W1

WARNING. USE ONLY GENUINE
    LOCKHEED FLUID
    DO NOT USE OIL
    Pat Nos ..............

Slide cover for access to filler plug.

What do you guys think ? Off a road vehicle or could it possibly be off a Lightning ?

relichunter

grndskeeper
    ?

Your pic confirms it: you've got Merlin parts there mate!

I doubt it is a wreck, more like surplus or worn parts chucked-off into the brush. Loads of bases had recycle piles (often write-offs, too) and junk dumps near the hardstands.

As to the cover -- it could be off a Lightning, but then it's made under license from Lockheed in Britain so it could've come-off a British aircraft as well. I read somewhere ages ago in a book on the 101th BG, that the mechanics would often get required replacement parts for B17s from local, licensed manufacturers -- as well as from American sources. I know, this muddies the waters nicely

If there was a date you could know for sure.

grndskeeper
    ?

PS. My heart wants it to be off an aircraft, not a vehicle -- even though Lockheed made brakes for both. Given what else you found with it, I say aircraft.

ace
    ?

wow wat a find is the airfield close to where u live looks like not a lot of relic hunters go there nice find

What a great find, congratulations. But make sure you keep the site to yourself at least until you've checked it over completely, there's bound to be more interesting relics perhaps even more concentrated and you don't want it cleared by other relic hunters. Look at local maps or even down load aerial photo's from Multimap. Theres bound to be the airfield rubbish tip overgrown now, but where everything ended up. Look for pits or tracks that seem to go no where.
    Thank you for posting.

The silver plate-like object looks as though it is P-51 related ... the ANA marking indicates North American Aviation. The cap is a fuel cap from 108 gallon Bowater drop tank ... I've found dozens of them at other American fighter bases.

From the little you reveal about the airfield & its occupants ... I wonder if it could be Kxxxgsxxxe ... just a guess!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast