Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010

Article about: Paul Many thanks mate. Sorry for the delay in replying ! Yes, there is indeed a hairspring attached to a very small cog. What I find intriguing is the fact that you say it looks as though it

Default Re: WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010

Paul

Many thanks mate. Sorry for the delay in replying !

Yes, there is indeed a hairspring attached to a very small cog. What I find intriguing is the fact that you say it looks as though it's made to keep time while moving. Could this mean it is a vehicle time piece or possibly an aircraft ?

Cheers

Steve T

?

Apologies Steve,

I could have been clearer regards the balance type.
    Having a rotary balance of this type means you can pick the thing up while it was running, move it and it will carry on running.
    This can't be done with a clock with a pendulum type balance for example, as it will stop while being moved.
    It doesn't nessesarily mean it was intended to operate while moving, just that it will do so.

The centre pinion looks far to thick to carry hands of a size relative to the movement, (I'm guesstimating it as about 2" dia.) and as it has a ratchet gear at the base it most likely for winding the mechanism. If the mainspring barrel comes from the same piece, it would fit over this pinion. The problem there is that the barrel is from a pendulum movement.

Without being able to examine it in person, could you get me some clear photos of the movement flat-on from all angles?
    It would make it easier to work out the gear train, and from there maybe work out what the darn thing is....

All the best,
    PB

Do you know hw to tell if the .303 round is RAF issue or Army issue?

The RAF .303 carts had a full year date i.e. 1940 where as the army had a 2 digit year date i.e. 40

The .303 round was made by Greenwood & Batley Ltd, UK in 1941. It is a Mk7 Ball round which uses cordite propellent and was almost certainly fired from a Lee Enfield, probably a SMLE.

The .30 cal round was made by Peters Cartridge Company, Cincinnati, Ohio in 1943.
    Last edited by m3bobby; 02-23-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Paul B - Will do give me a day or so

M3bobby - Thanks mate If you look in the ordnance and ammo forum you'll see a sticky thread by me regarding cartridge headstamps and identifying them

I have heard this theory about 303's in the past but have to say I personally don't believe it and have evidence that it isn't the case. On the gunnery range I visit that was only ever used by the army, I find cases with both 2 and 4 digit dates. I know the RAF never used the area so site it as evidence that the theory is not true.

I would be interested if you have evidence to the contrary !

Cheers

Steve T

Hi Steve,

I've not got any evidence to suggest either way. I was told this many years ago during my RAF armourer training and I've only ever found 2 digit stamps on Army ranges and 4 digit stamps on RAF ranges. It could be that the Army used some RAF stuff or vice versa, cant really be sure. Are youin Lincolnshire? Thats where I'm based at the moment, RAF Coningsby. When I was at RAF Halton I was (And others) were tasked with clearing the range of bullets and raking the area of the old range. I found a handfull of 1940s and 50s 303 cases and that got me into collecting the rounds and then the guns. I've now got about 80 odd weapons from Lee Enfields to .50 cal Brownings. I've got 30 Bren guns of diffrent manufacturers, Marks and mods. If your in the area drop in for a chat.

m3bobby

Thanks for the offer mate You're a gent. I am in Leicestershire but some of the bases I search are quite close to Coningsby so I might just take you up on that !

If you look in this thread of mine ....... https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...-2010-a-16160/ ......you will see a close up of 5 of the headstamps. Four of them are 4 digit from different manufacturers and all found on an army range. I suppoe they may have been supplied by the RAF but it seems a little odd. Roughly half the rounds I find are 4 and the other half 2 digit dates.

You've got me thinking now !

Cheers

Steve T

Thats a good thread, ever thought of selling the excess cases? Some would make good souvenirs.

Have you any .50 heads surplus? I'm looking for some to mount on my cases for displaying with my M2HB.

Have you ever been upto theddlethorpe range? I was up there a few years back when some walkers found a couple of tins of 20mm ammo, some boxs of .303 and some 9mm in a puddle. The police were called and they called the Navy EOD guys. They took a look on the map at the location and realised that there was a 5131Flt detachement up there permanently, unfortunatly they destroyed the lot before I heard about it. They told me it was mint late war stuff probably taken there to be destroyed and the guys just buried it instead. I did find some 3" mortar rounds and plenty of frag, and a tank (Not exactly hidden!) and fired off 200 mini flares into the sand after blowing up 20+ sets of Martin Baker Ejection seat carts.

Oh, I also found some live .55 Boys AT rounds which are now safe but are a bit damaged for display with my rifle.

I should also point out to anyone reading that my collection is all deactivated, I'm an armourer by trade and EOD qualified (Defence EOD School at Lodge Camp).

Funny you should say that.....I have lots of 10 of the cases on e-bay as we write I have over 1200 303 cartridges from that place so I am kinda overwhelmed by them ! Normally I never sell anything I find but I could do with a new detector

Never been to theddlethorpe.....sounds like I'll have to go though ! Is it not used any more ?

Steve T

PaulB

The pics you wanted

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010  

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010  

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 1 - February 2010  

I'm wondering if this could be bomb pistol/fuze?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast