Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Zulu Spear????

Article about: Hi Guys, Can anyone identify this spear by its design etc. It has obvious age and came from an elderly gentlemans house who was known for being a bit of a hoarder. The Blade of the spear is

Default Zulu Spear????

Hi Guys, Can anyone identify this spear by its design etc. It has obvious age and came from an elderly gentlemans house who was known for being a bit of a hoarder. The Blade of the spear is around 30-cm in length and is bound with what appears to be hide of some sort. Some of the binding at the shaft of the blade has crumbled with age. The end of the wooden shaft is typical of the Zulu design by the way it flares out at the bottom. The blade has corrosion which has almost a parkerizing effect. Ant ideas would be good. It was part of a batch of old items his family dropped off at a charity shop in the town. I was asked to examine the spear. I suggested it could be Zulu stabbing spear or Assagai??? Cheers Tim.Attachment 1041690Attachment 1041691Attachment 1041692Attachment 1041693Attachment 1041690Attachment 1041691Attachment 1041692Attachment 1041693

?

I would also say Zulu. Dating is difficult though as the materials and way they are made hasent changed much over the years

It appears to be of Zulu origin - although I would say the binding isn't. Can you do a high resolution close-up of the blade? There should be two small 'nicks' at the base of the blade.

I will see what i can do to get some better images up. There are two notches at the base of the blade.

?

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    I will see what i can do to get some better images up. There are two notches at the base of the blade.
    I think You can now answer Your own question lol

Heres some better quality images but yes i think the answer is Zulu. This was in local charity shop. Was just thinking other day how id like to find a genuine Zulu spear. Where do i find one?-right here in the market town of Evesham, Worcs in a Red Cross shop for £15!!! The missus Paula wants it hung up above the old native carvings we have in the hallway. Thanks guys very much always a pleasure to have your input. Cheers Tim.Attachment 1041723Attachment 1041722Attachment 1041724Attachment 1041725Attachment 1041723Attachment 1041722Attachment 1041724Attachment 1041725

I agree-almost certainly Zulu in origin, but as to age, I would say it looks to me to be 20th Century. Either way, it's a fine Iklwa, and I'd have sprained my wrist getting out my wallet for it too! A Great find! Well Done!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."