Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

American bayonet-original or fake?

Article about: Good afternoon! I wanted to buy an American bayonet. The seller listed it as an American civil war period. But I have my doubts - the brands look like new ones. Tell me-is it original or fak

?

Default American bayonet-original or fake?

Good afternoon! I wanted to buy an American bayonet. The seller listed it as an American civil war period. But I have my doubts - the brands look like new ones. Tell me-is it original or fake? Photos so far only such.

?

Same opinion in late 70ies Frankonia ordered small bunch of civil war era bayonets, that was done for reenactments, someone probably added the stamp on guard. b.r.Andy

?

More photos.

?

Question on the inscription "US property" - from what period can you find this form? And were they on bayonets?

?

I dont known who added it there, anyway is new font and was made per single dies letters, so in reality certainly problematic, secondly the serial number looks like k suffix, which i doubt ever would be made so many similar bayonets, when i am correct is Ames type bayonet, or small bunch of civil war modells. thirdly the locking nut on handle is cylindrical, maybe rotated? but in that position could be the bayonet not attached on rifle as the rifle adapter slot would be not free. The cast of handle is rough i assume this were ordered per Frankonia, but that real piece never went there as the bayonets in Frankonia were polished and filed on surface, so probably remains of undelivered. note the second picture lower handle part.

?

Yes, I also noticed the mount-I assumed it was a late replacement. But all these signs is the inscription, rough handle, no number on the back of the handle, no year of release on the blade, and the blade non - standard- indicate that bayonet is not original. I have noticed that a considerable number of bayonets have recently appeared under the guise of American ones-during the Civil war-without brands.

?

Here's another bayonet. There are no marks other than an indistinct mark on the blade. The total length is 650 mm. Very similar to the German version of the M1842, but shortened. What's the matter? Volunteer?

?

additional photo.

?

It looks like old bayonet, the shape of pommel looks like a belgian bayonet, should be detailed compared with french M42, anyway it could be a export piece to US or other country bayonet.

?

I think it's an old bayonet. The Belgian bayonet has a straight blade (as described in the reference book). It's the same size as the Belgian one. German firms supplied the M1842 to the United States during the Civil war, but they had a standard bayonet length, and this one was short. Probably an export bayonet, but where?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast