Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Arisaka bayonet

Article about: Founded from relative remains what I think is Arisaka bayonet. What raises intrested on me is markings of this bayonet that I cant find explanations from internet. This is from Finland, and

MikaJ
    ?

Default Arisaka bayonet

Founded from relative remains what I think is Arisaka bayonet. What raises intrested on me is markings of this bayonet that I cant find explanations from internet. This is from Finland, and I am 99% sure that it has been in storage for at least 40years.

Could some one explain what are these markings?

Arisaka bayonetArisaka bayonetArisaka bayonetArisaka bayonetArisaka bayonet

According to my copy of Skennertons 150,000 of these Arisaka bayonets were purchased in 1914/15 for British service, the regimental marking could be for Princess Charlotte of Wales (Royal Berkshire Regiment) if it did see British service it is not a common one to find and a good discovery.

The number on the pommel is probably the rifle serial number it was issued with.

I should clarify that the Japanese 6.5mm Arisaka rifle was purchased by Britain to cover a shortage of Lee Enfields, these bayonets were obviously intended for these rifles, all the rifles and bayonets were shipped to Russia in 1916 which is probably how this one found its way to Finland.

MikaJ
    ?

That would sound reasonable. My past father in law seemend not to have any interested about knifes, guns or military memorabilia. So only natural explanation would be that these would came out from our own country.

Only other artifact that would consireded as military memorabilia was also another bayonet. I think this is called "Swedish bayonet 1896".
    Arisaka bayonet
    Arisaka bayonet
    Arisaka bayonet

As unfortunatly I am not any expert in Finnish military history (even I have served as military gunsmith sergeant...), but by now looking information these seems to be something we should have in Finland. 1918 Civil war we had Arisakas for our people, and WW2 we got 1896 Swedish Mausers. Maybe these are heritage from my father in law grandfather, that could have been served in those wars.

Thank you for good info.

?

Lugerlout is spot on with his info. That is one very rare and very nice Arisaka, thanks for sharing.

Jim

The second one is for a Swedish AG42b Ljungman rifle...great rifle
    Arisaka bayonet