Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long

Article about: These are both L1A1 SLR bayonets as made by the Lithgow small arms factory-one of bayonet collecting little jokes they have no serial numbers, proof marks, makers name or stock codes-the com

Default Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long

These are both L1A1 SLR bayonets as made by the Lithgow small arms factory-one of bayonet collecting little jokes they have no serial numbers, proof marks, makers name or stock codes-the complete absence of markings tells you they are the Australian model. They were produced 1958 to 1984 in 2 variations that were never given seperate official names-a long point and a short point.

The upper bayo is the short point used as a parade bayo with gloss black painted scabbard and handle, polished blade and polished brass scabbard throat. The frog is the modified short P37 web type blacked and polished for wearing on the similarly blacked P37 belt. This bayo is ex RAAF use.

The lower is the long point variant in factory issued condition for field use-matt black blade and scabbard, black throat and parkerised handle. The frog is the green P56 web with wire carrier for use on the P56 field webbing 'pistol' belt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long   Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long  

Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long  

4md
    ?

Default Re: Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long

gday lithgow, i love these bayonets they are really well made, mine is the same as yours unissued with the green webbing frog.
    i think these are a must for any lithgow collector.....it would be good to have the rifle to go with it but they are too difficult to find and register in this state. Guess i will just make do with the bayonet

regards Paul

Hello 4md-no semi auto rifles at all in WA-you can have a deactivated SLR if you can find one and that at about $3,500! Luckily the bayos are relatively cheap and available but I do consider myself lucky to have got the exRAAF parade bayo for $60.

4md
    ?

thats a great buy for $60, i didnt know about the short point /long point... i will keep an eye out for a short point one now
    regards paul

Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long
    Quote by lithgow View Post

These are both L1A1 SLR bayonets as made by the Lithgow small arms factory-one of bayonet collecting little jokes they have no serial numbers, proof marks, makers name or stock codes-the complete absence of markings tells you they are the Australian model. ...
    Yesterday I received this SLR bayonet, I think, it´s an Aussie L1A2 bayonet, but, I recognized a digit, ( a " 2 " ? ), marked upon the crossguard, alo the mark of a punch, (a hardness test ?).

overall lenght: ca. 290 mm
    blade lenght: ca. 190 mm

?

Excellent pictures/examples of these Bayonets, I never realised there were so many variants of these so I have definitely learned something new today, thanks for posting them up,regards Opex.

Opex-if you're keen on collecting them, I'd recommend getting a copy of Ian Skennerton and Robert Richardson's 'British and Commonwealth Bayonets'-many different SLR bayos from the different countries (mostly relatively small variations but that's what gets collectors excited!). One I bought 18 months back is a repackaged British example 'mummy wrapped' for long term storage-ironically I'll never actually see the bayo as it'll stay in the packaging...

Hi, mates !

Sunday´s flea market -find, the "long" version !

Bayo´s in good, worn, condition and I also think, the painted scabbard is quite legit in it´s condition.
    AFAIK Aussie manufactured sheath´s were black painted also actually.

The blade´s well greased.

I´m curious, if both version´s, ("long", and / also, "short" bladed), saw action in NAM ?

Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & LongAustralian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long
    Last edited by Reibert; 08-02-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Quote by Reibert View Post

I´m curious, if both version´s, ("long", and, "short" bladed), saw action in NAM ?

See also this thread:
    L1A2 for the SLR L1A1 Aussie in NAM ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast