Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Australian machete bayonet mk1

Article about: Hello guys, This is the first of two threads of my latest additions to my collection. This the first is an Australian Mk1 Machete Bayonet also known as the "Paratrooper" Bayonet. T

Default Australian machete bayonet mk1

Hello guys,
    This is the first of two threads of my latest additions to my collection.
    This the first is an Australian Mk1 Machete Bayonet also known as the "Paratrooper" Bayonet. There are no makers mark apart from the SLAZ mark on the grips. There is also a 4 digit number on the pommel.
    The blade has retained its origional blueing.
    The cnvas scabbard has a brass stud on the securing strap and the back is dated 1944. These proved to be not much use as a bayonet and not too cool as a Machete.
    Approx 2,000 were made which I belive makes this a scarce bayonet.
    Any other information appreciated.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian machete bayonet mk1   Australian machete bayonet mk1  

Australian machete bayonet mk1   Australian machete bayonet mk1  

Australian machete bayonet mk1  

Default Re: Australian machete bayonet mk1

Apparently these have also been heavily reproduced for a number of years, and they can be very tricky as with so few getting around, how can you tell.?
    I have heard that more of the scabbards were made then the machetes, and that large numbers of scabbards were later disposed of as milsurp, so that doesn't help.

I understand that they incorporate the standard P1907 hilt and pommel and these components were drawn out of regular factory stock, with standard Lithgow bluing. The machete blades, on the other hand were specially made to order, and because of their expected usage were given a very dark heavily blued finish, ie. unusual.

The grips were also P1907 standards out of stock, your example appears to be marked SLAZ43. The Mk.1 Machete bayonet was sealed as a Pattern in mid 1944. There should also be a marking on the blade in the form of the Aussie 'broad arrow' but apparently some can be found without any markings, so doesn't help much.

All in all, it is a very difficult area to collect in as originals are few and reproductions are many, but if you do venture down that path it pays to be aware of the pitfalls.

This one is original as far as I can see.
    The '43 Slazanger grips are correct, the scabbard is correct.
    The screw heads face the right way and appear untampered with.
    The blued finish, vs the parkerised finish of some of the repro's is correct
    The serial number range, font and font size used to stamp it is correct and shows that it was added before being blued.
    In regards to the government broad arrow acceptance stamp - it's really small by comparison to others stamped on other military equipment.
    This was also applied prior to bluing, on the RHS of the blade - pointing towards the pommel.

Here are some links :

Sample Pages

Lawrance Ordnance - Australian Parachutist's (Machete) Bayonets

I

?

Quote by MilSurp View Post
    This one is original as far as I can see.
    The '43 Slazanger grips are correct, the scabbard is correct.
    The screw heads face the right way and appear untampered with.
    The blued finish, vs the parkerised finish of some of the repro's is correct
    The serial number range, font and font size used to stamp it is correct and shows that it was added before being blued.
    In regards to the government broad arrow acceptance stamp - it's really small by comparison to others stamped on other military equipment.
    This was also applied prior to bluing, on the RHS of the blade - pointing towards the pommel.

Here are some links :

Sample Pages

Lawrance Ordnance - Australian Parachutist's (Machete) Bayonets

I
    Welcome to the forum.
    Great research.

Thanks Steve - good to be here.
    Have been around on a few of the other forums under the same name for a while - but have not been contributing for a few years (work, kids, etc... the usual story).

I came back to this thread to add that Jim should also find OA stamped on the base of the pommel, just below the mortise slot. Note that due to the curvature of the pommel base, it may be an incomplete stamping.

The OA stands for Orange Arsenal - as in the town of Orange in the state of New South Wales (NSW). This was predominantly a feeder factory of parts to the Lithgow Small Arms Factory, along with other such feeder factories such as Bathurst (BA) during WWII.

Incidentally you should find that the OA stamp is upside down when viewing it with the muzzle ring at the top.

Corima23
    ?

Thumbs up I was given one of these.

I have been given a Mk1 Paratroopers Machete Bayonet. What do you think the value of a genuine one would be around? As they appear to be quite rare. all marking and as pictured below?

Corima23
    ?

I have been given a Mk1 Paratroopers Machete Bayonet. What do you think the value of a genuine one would be around? As they appear to be quite rare. all marking and as pictured below?

A few years have past since your post - sorry.

I'm guessing in the A$1500-2000 range if someone was really keen - depending on condition of course