Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet British MK4 with leather tab help please

Article about: I picked up the less than good condition bayonet due to it have a unique leather tab that I have not seen before. The scabbard markings are good though. Any thoughts or opinions are apprecia

Default Bayonet British MK4 with leather tab help please

I picked up the less than good condition bayonet due to it have a unique leather tab that I have not seen before. The scabbard markings are good though. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. I took it off for the main pics and then put it back on.
    John

Bayonet British MK4 with leather tab help pleaseBayonet British MK4 with leather tab help pleaseBayonet British MK4 with leather tab help pleaseBayonet British MK4 with leather tab help pleaseBayonet British MK4 with leather tab help please

?

That is called the “Tab, Securing, Bayonet No4 MkI. Scroll down to the end of the page Britain - The No. 4 Spike Bayonet

It was introduced early in the war.

The bayonet you show is a later war No4 Mk II*. I can’t make out the maker of the bayonet, but it could be Prince-Smith & Stells.

Thank you Kilian. I never knew it existed. I am surprised they needed a retainer. They are a bugger to remove to begin with.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 12-09-2023 at 02:58 PM.