Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A bayonet for Greece?

Article about: Good evening. Bayonet for Greece (?) with an interesting overlay on the handle. And the button is cut off? What could it be?

?

Default A bayonet for Greece?

Good evening. Bayonet for Greece (?) with an interesting overlay on the handle. And the button is cut off? What could it be?
    A bayonet for Greece?
    A bayonet for Greece?
    A bayonet for Greece?

?

plate for inventory number, or some carving? it could be Greece Gras 1874 contract. why removed press button end, is hard to say.

I can’t help with your question, but the blade inscription reads - Waffenfabrik Steyr 1881.

?

Hello. Bayonet-for Greece, probably. The presence of an overlay and a sawn button – perhaps the handle was disassembled-to install the overlay?

?

Good evening. Today I have a bayonet.
    I compared it to a bayonet for Greece.
    A bayonet for Greece?
    A bayonet for Greece?

?

The diameter of the ring is 18.5 mm.
    There is no sign (letter) of acceptance of the Greek language on the crosspiece.
    The placement of the inscription on the back of the blade is different.
    The bayonet is not for a Gra rifle. Remington (18.0 mm)? Is there something else?
    A bayonet for Greece?
    A bayonet for Greece?
    A bayonet for Greece?

?

I would think that both are greek M1874, possible the one was redrilled on barell ring for easier attachement, as some could be tight to attach when not on matching rifle, the letter on guard looks like a G greek letter prefix? or proof. both years on spine are delivering to Greece.Locking distance is the same, different is only the MRD which could be done later. I would compare the digits of SN?

?

My version – this bayonet is remade (made?) for other rifles, not Gra (ring diameter-18.0-18.5 mm ). To avoid confusion, if both types of rifles were in service, a distinctive sign was made – a brass plate on the handle, and, possibly, a button was cut off. A similar case was with the English bayonet of the 1879 model during the rearmament of the British army (changing the ring diameter from 17.5 mm to 18.0 mm).
    It is strange that there is no sign of Greek acceptance on the crosspiece – a Greek letter ("G", or another). Is everything possible in Greece?
    Perhaps there are other options?

?

I dont believe this could be done for other rifle as Gras , but could be later reworked, the locking dimmension is usable only on CHassepot and Gras, the MRD should be measured on various places as the ring could be bented, or it was mashined, i dont see here any pictures of the ring, You should compare the romboid C proof on blade for other greek bayonets, anyway there was too some civilian market deliveries of the Gras and bayonets, with 17xxx sn is question how were the greek rifles serialed, when in bunches it should be then correct. You should find on internet how is serialed the 1881 contract of Greece.

?

Personally dont believe the change 17,5 to 18,0 would be some extra problem, by my friend who has various Gras rifles, there could be some Gras bayonet not attached to rifle even the MRD was 17,5, some were bented on ring or so, so no possibility to attach on rifle wout upgrade the ring diameter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast