Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet, possible unit identification?

Article about: Hey guys I recently obtained this 1856 as a gift from a family friend, found a lot of cool things about it but i'm still stumpted on these three letters pressed into the leather scabbard. To

?

Default British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet, possible unit identification?

Hey guys I recently obtained this 1856 as a gift from a family friend, found a lot of cool things about it but i'm still stumpted on these three letters pressed into the leather scabbard. To me it looks like O.O.B to me but I may be wrong, would any of you possibly know what these letters stand for, and also any other extra information that you all may know would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet, possible unit identification?   British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet, possible unit identification?  

British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet, possible unit identification?   British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet, possible unit identification?  

Nice example Ryan, many are lacking the scabbard, as leather tends not to survive well. This one was in British Imperial service.
    As for the marks on the scabbard, the Enfield and War Department marks are clear but the 3 letter mark you suggest as "O.O.B" is probably a regimental mark. Have you considered it may be other letters as it's not fully struck? It could be "Q.O.R." for Queen's Own Rifles, or in fact numerous other possibilities across the British Empire. The "8" number on scabbard and "9" or is it "6" on crossguard is likely a unit accountability number rather than a regimental number.
    Thanks for showing it.

?

Thanks for your reply,

The 8 actually seems to have a punched 9 over it in person so it might be match to the bayonet which is a plus. And taking look at it a second time and some side research on some other Q.O.R examples it does actually have a resemblance to the others, so I think you may have found the unit attached to it, and many thanks for that. I would be very interested in your opinion on the value of this piece as looking at other examples price varies greatly and I really cant pin point anything certain.

Many Thanks,

Ryan