Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard

Article about: Hi, I have a brown bayonet with original leather scabard, I am looking to advertise this on this forum but wondered what a fair asking price might be?

Default Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard

Hi, I have a brown bayonet with original leather scabard, I am looking to advertise this on this forum but wondered what a fair asking price might be?

?

Default Re: Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard

Condition !!!!

Of Bayonet ...

And Scabbard ....

Photo's ??

Gary J.

?

Please post pictures are mentioned we cannot tell you what you have without pictures

Sorry not to have put pictures first time round! doh!

Look forward to comments.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard   Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard  

Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard  

?

Your bayonet is somewhat latter than the Brown Bess. Without measurements it is difficult to be certain but it appears to me to be a bayonet from the last quarter of the 19th Century used on the Martini-Henry or Martini-Enfield Rifle.

Give us measurements of the overall length and the blade's length as well as socket internal diameter when you can. And photos of the markings on the bayonet please.

Hi, thanks for the replies, additional pics attached.

Overall length is 64cm Blade length 55cm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard   Brown Bess Bayonet and scabard  

Hi, further to additional info I wonder if it helped at all? I am interested in knowing the approx date of the bayonet and what the stamps mean, ultimately whilst I am interested I am looking at selling it and would like advice on what is a fair price for it. Thanks for all the help so far.

RZM
    ?

It appears to be a bayonet made for the P1876 Martini-Henry rifle. Yours looks to have two rivets in the scabbard, which would put production in the later part of the 1870s (if I remember correctly). They generally sell for $50 to $100 here in the US, with the latter being near perfect. I hope this helps!

It's a Pattern 1876 socket bayonet for the Martini Henry rifle-a total of 532,759 made by Enfield RSAF and 28,200 by BSA Ltd with many later converted to P1895 types for the Martini Enfield conversions-'arrows pointing to each other' are sold out of Govt service marks.