Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

constabulary socket bayonet markings

Article about: hi, please see the attached photo of a Constabulary socket bayonet with Lovell catch made by S Hill. It is marked 'C 9865' Am I right in thinking that the C stands for Constabulary and that

Default constabulary socket bayonet markings

hi, please see the attached photo of a Constabulary socket bayonet with Lovell catch made by S Hill. It is marked 'C 9865'

Am I right in thinking that the C stands for Constabulary and that the number is just the individual bayonet number?

many thanks

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture constabulary socket bayonet markings  

A few more photos always helps as I think your socket bayonet is not a Lovell catch but the earlier Hanoverian catch. A photo of entry circle would confirm. However it is a Constabulary bayonet and I believe it is Royal Irish Constabulary and would have been fitted to a P1839/41 Carbine. These carbines usually have a "C " mark and number (often in thousands) on the brass butt plate which probably means the bayonets were matched to the carbine, so yes "C" stood for constabulary. The maker, Stephen Hill was a Birmingham cutler who was in business between 1830-49. We can also just see the scabbard catch on this bayonet at the top of the photo. If in fact the muzzle locking catch is a Hanoverian catch we could date the bayonet to no later than 1842, when the Lovell was adopted.

many thanks Anderson, photo attached. Thanks also for the further information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture constabulary socket bayonet markings  

?

Could we see the whole bayonet and scabbard

see attached
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture constabulary socket bayonet markings   constabulary socket bayonet markings  

?

Very nice thank you

?

I don't collect socket bayonets, But I love all bayonets and have looked at many socket bayo's over the years .
    This is the first time I have seen one with the scabbard catch.

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing this one!

Semper Fi
    Phil

you're welcome, I only put here to find out a little more about it!

It's not the Lovell locking catch which has an elliptical offset edge to the ring. It looks like a Hanoverian, where the locking clip was on the musket below the barrel. Nice to see the scabbard clip still in place, as many are lost. Scabbard is in good condition.
    We blade enthusiasts like to see photos of the whole bayonet as all the parts have a bearing on the appraisal.

thanks Anderson, you probably realise by now that my knowledge of these things is fairly basic! But I'm learning surprisingly quickly.