Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Cut down Sabre?

Article about: Hi Guys, I just started a new job, and as you do, you try and find anyone willing to talk to you about Militaria etc... without freaking them out early. It just so happens one of the guys he

?

Default Cut down Sabre?

Hi Guys,

I just started a new job, and as you do, you try and find anyone willing to talk to you about Militaria etc... without freaking them out early.
    It just so happens one of the guys here has a small collection of unknowns and family pieces.

I said I will try to find out what I can about whatever he has and to email me photos.

So first up, he thinks it's a cut down Sabre.
    Handle looks like bone?
    Looks like a Navy Frog?
    Age? Period? Country?
    He says when the blade goes into the scabbard something inside is pinching the blade on both sides, same for when it's retracted. Feels metallic.

Can someone please help with details on this?

Thank you,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut down Sabre?   Cut down Sabre?  

Cut down Sabre?  

?

Could be done from long bayonet blade or as You mentioned from Sabre, the grip looks like personall carved, the anchor marking could be Navy owner?, similar was used by Russians, frogs looks like Balkan area.Any marking on blade? but maybe its a New Zealand local item? the scabbard is most real early P1907 mark 1 shortened.

Interesting construction. The hilt is very likely originally from a sabre, grip appears to be bone, maybe ivory and could have originally been on the sword. Blade is probably cut down from the same sword. The scabbard I agree looks like it's from a P1907 bayonet but the frog is not British. Difficult to place this home made piece but it could have been assembled in first half of 20th century. A curio really, not much value really without provenance.

Greetings all,

Can't add to the blade's discussion, but that scabbard's construction looks to me as a shortened Canadian Ross Bayonet Frog/Scabbard.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Hi,

Thanks guys.