Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

French Model 1886 Lebel for opinions please

Article about: I wanted to share a good example of the French Model 1886 Lebel. Metal handle which is removable using the top nut. Bayonet is numbered. There are some numbers on the scabbard but tough to m

Default French Model 1886 Lebel for opinions please

I wanted to share a good example of the French Model 1886 Lebel. Metal handle which is removable using the top nut. Bayonet is numbered. There are some numbers on the scabbard but tough to make out. I do not know if they matched when made. There is also some type of marking on the ball tip on the scabbard that I am not able to make out. All opinions and information is appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

French Model 1886 Lebel for opinions pleaseFrench Model 1886 Lebel for opinions pleaseFrench Model 1886 Lebel for opinions pleaseFrench Model 1886 Lebel for opinions pleaseFrench Model 1886 Lebel for opinions pleaseFrench Model 1886 Lebel for opinions pleaseFrench Model 1886 Lebel for opinions please

?

Hi John, the marks on the scabbard near the throat and ball are poincons which are French inspectors marks. From memory the serial numbers on French bayonets usually start with a letter prefix and are stamped slightly differently to yours. Maybe this indicates use by a another country? Looks like it’s in good shape anyway.

Alex

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Hi John, the marks on the scabbard near the throat and ball are poincons which are French inspectors marks. From memory the serial numbers on French bayonets usually start with a letter prefix and are stamped slightly differently to yours. Maybe this indicates use by a another country? Looks like it’s in good shape anyway.

Alex
    Your probably right in saying that they were used by others.. IMO
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Model 1886 Lebel for opinions please  
    Attached Images Attached Images French Model 1886 Lebel for opinions please 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Although the bayo was initially used on the Lebel long infantry rifle, it was also used by the slightly later Berthier long rifle-many variations of the bayo made over the years-at the start it had a hook quillon, changes to the handle and bayo ring, as well as shortened blades due to the ease of damaging it. The French soldiers christened it 'Rosalie'.

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Although the bayo was initially used on the Lebel long infantry rifle, it was also used by the slightly later Berthier long rifle-many variations of the bayo made over the years-at the start it had a hook quillon, changes to the handle and bayo ring, as well as shortened blades due to the ease of damaging it. The French soldiers christened it 'Rosalie'.
    100 % accurate !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Model 1886 Lebel for opinions please  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thank you to all for the education and information.
    John

?

M1886/15 used with Mann.Berthiers M07/15 and M16, same opinion about new serial, possible used in other country. b.r.Andy