Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr Taschenmesser

Article about: Picked this up yesterday. Always wanted one. They are quite common and cheap. I'm sure many of you have one of these in a draw or pocket Officially this are the West German Bundeswehr Tasche

MAP
    ?

Default G.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr Taschenmesser

Picked this up yesterday. Always wanted one. They are quite common and cheap. I'm sure many of you have one of these in a draw or pocket

Officially these are the West German Bundeswehr Taschenmesser but more commonly called "G.A.K." for German Army Knife. I think this early 108mm version was first released in 1976 or so and then phased out and replaced in 2003 with a newer 111mm model where the main blade could be opened with one hand and had a contoured handle.

Originally designed by Victorinox, there were many different manufactures that were contracted to produce them with minor variations. Mine is made by I.C.A.R. Don't know who the maker is but one link indicated it could be Italian.

A great sturdy knife. Typical Victorinox stainless steel blade material. Mine is certainly a well used variant but my son intends to use it so I don't mind. Next up...it needs a real good sharpening. It's as dull as a butter blade.

Enjoy!

M

P.S. Larry feel free to move this where ever you think it should be.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Missed a photo....

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Originally designed by Victorinox
    You can definitely see the resemblance - i have x2 similar Swiss Army knives and i still use them on a regular basis.
    I suspect your son will use this all the time.
    Nick

MAP
    ?

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    You can definitely see the resemblance - i have x2 similar Swiss Army knives and i still use them on a regular basis.
    I suspect your son will use this all the time.
    Nick
    From 1,000 yards away. Is screams Swiss Army design. They make similar ones for the civilian market but it has the Swiss Cross on them. There are also Chinese knock-offs. Why? no idea when you can get originals for $10...

I hope he uses it but he has 20+ blades already so we will see.

?

Hello Map

here is the french Army pocket knife

cordially
    Didier

MAP
    ?

Nice example. Very different approaches taken.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Picked this up yesterday. Always wanted one. They are quite common and cheap. I'm sure many of you have one of these in a draw or pocket

G.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr Taschenmesser

MAP
    ?

Very nice. I like the Victorinox example.

?

Nice Reibert, I've never seen the Bund marked ones before.

Alex

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice. I like the Victorinox example.
    Swiss Quality, very well manufactured knife !

Overall lenght with folded out blade: 195 mm
    Strenght of the blade: 2,5 mm

You can fix the blade with only one hand, (not permitted by law to carry as "Einhandmesser" in Germany, probably, also in other countries ?), and you need to press a clasp to remove the "fixed" blade back into the hilt.

IMO a pretty useful, durable, soldierĀ“s knife !
    G.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr TaschenmesserG.A.K. - West German Bundeswehr Taschenmesser

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast