Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

G3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonet

Article about: Hi, I would like to show you a somewhat "unusual" G3 / HK33 bayonet today. This is a "G3/S" with wire cutting function. Most likely the "S" stands for scissors.

Default G3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonet

Hi,
    I would like to show you a somewhat "unusual" G3 / HK33 bayonet today.

This is a "G3/S" with wire cutting function.
    Most likely the "S" stands for scissors.

G3 bayonets are not difficult to find, but over the years I have not had my hands on a "G3/S" and if such a type turns up at an auction, it is usually very expensive! ...

That's why I bought this (admittedly rather badly preserved) copy, especially since the adapter for mounting the bayonet in the pitot tube of the G3 / HK33 is also attached to the handle!

I know, it's purely speculative, but this bayonet could either be a "privately procured" one from a former member of the Bundeswehr, or it could be one of a certain number of bayonets which were limited to a unit of the Bundeswehr during a test phase has been subjected to.

In any case, a bayonet with a wire-cutting function makes sense, as can be seen on various other models worldwide (e.g. the AKM bayonets or the MPBS M9 bayonet).

The bayonet, scabbard and the adapter are in the same condition and show the same signs of corrosion, which means that the components were probably put together like this for a very long time.

Eickhorn probably made this bayonet for the "civilian" market and for export.
    Unfortunately, I can't say for how long.

G3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonet
    Last edited by Reibert; 04-26-2023 at 12:25 PM.

I could not see any stamps on the bayonet itself or on the scabbard, nor on the push button.

This is a "Half Notched", "7 Groove" G3 / HK33 bayonet.

The dimensions (roughly):
    Blade length: 167mm
    Handle length including crossguard thickness: 141 mm
    Total length: 308mm
    Blade width: 22mm
    Blade Thickness: 5mm
    MRD: 22mm

G3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonet

From an Eickhorn advertising brochure:
    G3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonetG3 / HK33 "G3/S" bayonet

http://www.jeffreyhayes.com/ebooks/G3pdf.pdf

Quote by Reibert View Post
    I know, it's purely speculative, but this bayonet could either be a "privately procured" one from a former member of the Bundeswehr, or it could be one of a certain number of bayonets which were limited to a unit of the Bundeswehr during a test phase has been subjected to.

In any case, a bayonet with a wire-cutting function makes sense, as can be seen on various other models worldwide (e.g. the AKM bayonets or the MPBS M9 bayonet).
    Bayonets for H&K G3 Assault rifle.