Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A German bayonet?

Article about: Good evening. Please help me with the brand of this bayonet. The brand is called "PREIS PRAZA". Nickel-plated bayonet (for parade?). There are no other photos yet.

?

Default A German bayonet?

Good evening. Please help me with the brand of this bayonet. The brand is called "PREIS PRAZA". Nickel-plated bayonet (for parade?). There are no other photos yet.

A German bayonet?
    A German bayonet?
    A German bayonet?
    A German bayonet?
    A German bayonet?
    A German bayonet?

?

It looks like a French M1842 Yataghan style bayonet.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Unfortunately, no. The handle is different, the dimensions are different.

?

The handle of the 1842 French bayonet.
    A German bayonet?
    A German bayonet?

The hilt is unmistakenly Germanic with that nasty bird head. It looks to be straight from a Prussian M1865 Hirschfanger, but this has a yataghan blade, unlike the Prussian type. I would think a commercial export bayonet "Praza" means Prague, so Czech used, possibly militia, likely parade type. The wood grip could be a replacement as in the original M1865 they used the pressed leather grip plates, like British bayonets of the time. This will probably date to the 1880's. Scabbard would have been leather, now lost. "Preis" may be the retailer.

?

The blade of the scimitar and the stigma, "Preis PRAZA"?
    The brand is clearly not Czech.

What I said was the mark is probably from a Czech distributor, not maker. So likely Solingen made (unmarked) sold by "Preis" who probably was Prague based.

?

I may have misunderstood your post. But "PRAZA" is not Prague (as the capital of the Czech Republic). In Czech, it means "Praha". This is some other meaning. I may be wrong.

Actually looking at that mark again, I think it says "PRAZE" which is likely to be a place name. Pries is likely to be the distributor/ retailer.

?

Yes, of course, "PRAZE". And the first word is doubtful. Maybe there were other emails?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast