Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet

Article about: I just picked this one up recently. My bring-back Belgian Model 1935 rifle needed some company... This is one of the Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonets that were captured in 1940 and pressed int

PRE
    ?

Default German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet

I just picked this one up recently. My bring-back Belgian Model 1935 rifle needed some company...

This is one of the Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonets that were captured in 1940 and pressed into German use. Like many other captured examples, this one was shortened to a more usable and relatively standard length. The Belgians shortened some of their own bayonets in the 1930's, but this one appears to be shorter than those examples, and has had the tip formed into a more rounded shape. This is in contrast to the very tapered and pointy tips seen on either original or domestically shortened bayonets. The scabbard also appears to have been shortened and the end worked to taper it to accommodate the blade reduction of the bayonet. The blade length is approx. 282mm, which is almost identical to the mandated length for German modified Dutch carbine bayonets [SG 104(h)].

From what I've been able to gather, German numbers were applied to modified Belgian bayonets and scabbards. This one has matching numbers on the ricasso and the grip near the pommel, albeit very faintly in the latter location. One to three digit numbers were applied to the frog studs, but this one is off by one number. An armorer's mix-up, perhaps? Other stamps and characters appear to be original Belgian.

The muzzle ring of the Belgian bayonets was a logistical problem as the two types used had two different exterior muzzle diameters. This was overcome on this example by removing the majority of the ring to accommodate any barrel profile of Belgian rifles then in use. I mounted this on my Belgian Model 1935 rifle and the fit is less than ideal. While the bayonet locks up well, most of the weight is out front and unsupported, so anything more functional than appearance at the end of the rifle would be a challenge.

Pat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet   German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet  

German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet   German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet  

German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet   German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet  

Hello,

All steelparts were after the rework blued. I own the number 405.

The removing of the muzzle rings was a german idiosyncrasy, you can also seen by the austrian M1895.

The length of the belgian shorted M1916 blads is ca. 337 mm and has a totaly differnt way of shorting the scabbard.

The tips of the blades have no standard form... you can by my one... there are no principles.

The overwork were done commensurate simple.

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet   German-modified Belgian Model 1916/24 bayonet  

PRE
    ?

Hello Sleepwalker,
    Nice bayonet, thanks for your reply. Yours is very similar, and interesting! The modified Dutch carbine and rifle bayonets are beautiful, too.
    Pat

But there exist much variants more.

also shorted in the same and shorter length but with full muzzle rings.

PRE
    ?

Very nice! Much more variety of modification than what I'm accustomed to seeing with the modified Dutch and French bayonets. Thanks for sharing!
    Best,
    Pat