Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German World War I bayonet

Article about: A german World War I bayonet was handed down to me by my grandfather, and I'd really like to identify it. The blade is exactly 12 inches long to the tip, down by the handle there are some ma

Default German World War I bayonet

A german World War I bayonet was handed down to me by my grandfather, and I'd really like to identify it.

The blade is exactly 12 inches long to the tip, down by the handle there are some markings.

Down by the handle is stamped WD with an ^ over top of it. Under that, running vertically is M9E.

On the bottom of the handle "12 RE" is stamped.

Thank you for any help!

?

Default Re: German World War I bayonet

A picture would be most revealing

I'm on it. I'll have one up in a bit.

It sounds more British to me, WD being War deparment and the ^ being the WD broad arrow or 'Crows Foot', the 12 RE sounds like 12 Sqn Royal Engineers and the M9E sounds like the Enfield acceptance mark.

It very well could be british! Here are the pictures! Could someone give me an idea of how rare it is too?

I've attached some pictures!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German World War I bayonet   German World War I bayonet  

German World War I bayonet  

?

The E-mark is an Enfield inspection mark, right? (Ah, saw that someone had said it is)

Its a 1888 Lee Meford bayonet Mk1 type 1, I think this type (With 3 rivets) is quite scarce. The blade shows the remains of Queen Victorias crown.

In addition, just found this site which states the type one with 3 rivets is very rare. Lucky you!

http://www.angloboerwarmuseum.com/Bo...tech_bayo.html

Also, forgot to mention, I have the Lee Meford type 2 on my Martini Enfield carbine converted to .303".

thanks guys! Can anyone confirm this as a second opinion?

Did you check the link above? Or do a google search for Lee Metford type 1 bayonet. Have a look at values, but be aware that there are 3 versions and yours is the rarest so will command a higher premium.

Obviously, in my opinion, its value is not important as it will have more sentimental value than monetary value.

oh for sure. I don't plan on selling. I'd just like to get a ballpark price for the value. Thanks m3!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast