Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gras bayonet with the brand name " J. V."

Article about: Good afternoon! Met Gras bayonet private manufacturer " Deni. Paris 1880". But the crosspiece has the letters' J. V. ' on it." I didn't know what to say. Please help with info

?

Default Gras bayonet with the brand name " J. V."

Good afternoon! Met Gras bayonet private manufacturer " Deni. Paris 1880". But the crosspiece has the letters' J. V. ' on it."
    I didn't know what to say. Please help with information.
    These are the only photos so far.

Just an inspector mark I would think. The French State arms manufacturers were private businesses delivering State contracts in quantity and at set price. These business owners bought the raw materials and whatever was surplus to filling the State contract went out the door as private sales. Inspectors in the factories could well have been a mix of State and private QA people.

?

It doesn't look like an inspector's brand. Letters on the handle on both sides. The actual inspector stamps are placed on the crossbar hook. As it should be. Maybe belonging to something?

?

mostly delivered/serialed with Chassepot M66/74 conversion, JV could be a later stamp? personalised? or something else.

?

If it is (JV) - belonging to a regiment (some military structure), then these letters "JV" must occur somewhere else during this period. Can be, on other military subjects meets?

I may be drawing a long bow here. JV (Jacques Virgin) was a Swedish Inspector's mark in the early 1900s. I don't think that Sweden ever used Gras Rifles, but they may have modified some "foreign" bayonets to fit the Mauser rifle. Has the attachment slot in the pommel been modified to fit a Mauser?

?

Looks like normal M1874 bayonet, not any visible reworks to Gew71/88 or rifles.

?

Additional photos.

?

Opinion of French collectors: it is possible that this is a sign of theatrical and movie props.

?

So the battle bayonet became a prop in the theater. It is marked (J V), possibly a warehouse or theater. Do you think this made the bayonet less attractive to collectors?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast