Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???

Article about: Here are the best pics I could muster with my phone if they are of help.

Question Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???

Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???

Forgot to mention that the nicer of the two shown is my German issued Chassepot bayonet for comparison. You can see that the muzzle ring is missing the Chassepot style internal notch. It is void of marking (serials,etc.) save for the Weyersburg "kings head" and a "G" possibly on the ricasso with another "G" in a circle and a "B" on the crossguard.

?

It looks like french Chassepot M1866 refurbished in german manner on frog hook and pommel area mostly for Gew71 rifle, when not Chassepot so M1867 Remington Rolling Block.b.r.Andy

Hi AndyB! Thanks for the reply! I agree that the one in question very well could be a M1867 Remington Rolling Block bayonet, but how did it become to be modified to fit what I believe is a M1871 or 71/84 Mauser rifle? I believe that is what it fits since it has only a single "step" machined into the pommel and fails the fitment test on my 1888/05 Commission Rifle (wish I had the alternative too in my collection to try it on.) I have seen this modification to Chassepot bayonets but not on one such as this. Perhaps you or some other folks here have more insight.

I have read that Weyersburg of Solingen supposedly made these bayonets to fill a foreign contract, apparently Egypt, circa 1869 or so. Some one suggested that this order instead made its way to France leading up to the Franco-Prussian War. If so, that might explain why it has such a modification since many French Yataghan bayonets were handed over to Germany as war reparations. That is all assuming it was mixed in with M1866 Chassepot bayonets and never marked/serialized by either country's military inspectors, arsenals, etc. This seems unlikely to me given the fact that it could not fit a Chassepot rifle without the notch cut into the ID of the muzzle ring to clear the Chassepot's guide on the other side of the barrel from the bayonet stud. And, that's not to mention folks of that period having the urge to mark everything in someway it seems. lol

I am very keen to get a better understanding of this bayonet's history, should it not be gone altogether with those that may have used it. You might not tell from the picture the way it it lying but it looks like it has been to heck and back! The blade is pitted, bent, twisted, nicked and has been sharpened razor sharp a long time ago (the weight of the bayonet pushing the blade down on my thumb is uncomfortable alone. Also, the brass pommel is severely beaten and slightly smashed where the modification has left it rather thin especially. The cross-guard too has some deep gouges in it from the business side of the bayonet.

I am just so very overwhelmed by the possibilities. This is compounded by the fact that my bayonet library is nearly nonexistent. I have recently learned that non-military entities (particularly in Germany) have performed these conversions prior to WWI (and some afterwards) and sold them abroad, like ALFA (if I am remembering correctly.) And I have seen a picture somewhere in a German article on the fighting in Transvaal that shows a South African Boer armed with a M1871 rifle adorned with brass handled yataghan bayonet to further add to the confusion!

Long story short, any and all further help is truly appreciated!

Default More Pics

Here are the best pics I could muster with my phone if they are of help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???   Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???  

Having trouble identifying bayonet's origin...German Rolling Block Bayonet mod. to fit 1871 Mauser???  

?

You should look to the thread from Dmir few weeks ago What is this bayonet, similar piece is there with strange crossguard, in 1870 war period French used all avialable material to fight against germans, question are here the dimmension blade lenght?when compared with Chassepot looks longer, thickness, wide of blade, MRD barell ring inner diameter?, You could ask too on french forum experts like Christian Mery or Pierre Rennoux, or add it on US Gunboard forum who are experts on yataghan blades. From markings it looks like a Remington Rolling Block for unknown country, probably not delivered to Egypt,that could be right, as majority of there delivered exports were reworked other way . Should be proofed on Gew71 or other german rifles its possible to attach on them or not?. When is not the pictured scabbard with german upgrades attached on that piece, it could be too the piece was reworked by customers or sellers presented in ALFA catalog.The condition speaks for long time wrong area storage so deep rust were formed on surface.b.r.Andy

Here are some approximations of the specs until I can get to my mic: OAL=27&3/8", Blade length=22&3/8", Handle length=5", Clearance from MR to Front of Latch Face=3&9/16", MR ID=~11/16", Max Blade thickness (base of spine)=5/16", and Max Blade width=1&1/8". Please note that the blade length may be off a bit due to twisting and bending present throughout length of blade. Also, as you can imagine I may be off a bit on the MR ID which I attempted measuring by "wheeling" a straight rule and reading greatest measurement with my eye. All that said, I sure wish that I could mount it or attempt to on a G71 type rifle...if only I had one!

Thanks for the heads up on the other post, I checked it out but isn't quite a "match." I will see if I can get a hold of some of those other members and folks elsewhere! Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions!

?

57.5cm blade should be similar to Chassepot M1866 or Remington M1867. b.r.Andy