Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber

Article about: Hi everyone, I need help with this French saber, it's made in klingenthal, I haven't seen one like this, its hilt attracts me a lot, it seems strange, the scabbard is in very bad condition b

Default Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber

Hi everyone, I need help with this French saber, it's made in klingenthal, I haven't seen one like this, its hilt attracts me a lot, it seems strange, the scabbard is in very bad condition but I think I can sew it back up and clean the sword blade. I have to ask the seller for better photos, but it seems that the marking says Mfure Impale du Klingenthal Coulaux frères, that would imply that it belongs to the French Empire of Napoleon I.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber   Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber  

Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber   Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber  

Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber   Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber  

Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber  

This appears to be an old French Blade altered for use as a Machete, likely to cut Sugar Cane in one of the Overseas Possessions...Note the Native Motif on the handle...

?

The blade is pre 1870, as Imp.marked by the spine engraving, but mostly as You dated it much earlier post 1806, is possible the rework was done in north Africa or other french colonies.

It's an interesting piece, I agree with the others it likely originated in a French Colony, I would think native manufactured, possibly West Africa. The hilt has that ethnic look, and scabbard looks local made as well.

thanks for your response! I was looking for Napoleonic sabers with that hilt and couldn't find anything similar, so I guess you're right, it certainly has an African touch. Would it be a good piece to collect for €1000?

No idea mate.

Hello gentlemen,

Can we have better photos of the markings & the length of the blade please.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

?

The blade could be from Sabre briqeut or plain short infantry sabre, not extra hard to find, the african refurbishment is not real for 1000€, You should look at other auction of african items.

?

Too expensive, imo. A 100 maybe.
    Luc

Thank you all, it seems to me a very interesting sword but the seller will not sell it for less than €800, it is still expensive in my opinion, I would gladly buy a Napoleonic briquet, but in my country most of them come without a scabbard, and if you want it with the scabbard and in good condition it is almost impossible to find, here it is rare, ironic in a country neighboring France and that fought in the Napoleonic wars, while in the United States it is a common sword

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast