Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with an unusual Bayonet/Sword

Article about: Hi everyone, I get emails occasionally from people asking for help on items, if they are real or more info. I can help most of the time but this one has me stumped. This is what the gentlema

Default Help with an unusual Bayonet/Sword

Hi everyone,

I get emails occasionally from people asking for help on items, if they are real or more info. I can help most of the time but this one has me stumped. This is what the gentleman has written to me:

"Ok at first I thought it was a bayonet but have not found any bayonets like it, plus it does not seem to have a spot to attach to a gun.
    The metalwork is old and has been forged by a Blacksmith, it has a metal bound oak handle that has been incased by steel that has been
    riveted rather then bolted together (hence the blacksmith theory). It also has a hand guard, there are no markings whatsoever.

The blade has 3 hollowed bleeders and is hardened steel. the leather sheeth does not seem to be correct but is also extremely old.
    I purchased it from a young guy who said that it belonged to his great grandfather who was english."

Anyone have an idea or any info I can get back to him with? I have no idea so I though best to ask the experts from around the world

Cheers
    Jason
    Help with an unusual Bayonet/SwordHelp with an unusual Bayonet/SwordHelp with an unusual Bayonet/Sword

Default Re: Help with an unusual Bayonet/Sword

Possibly, a piece of a much older broken off sword blade with a blacksmith added on handle? A remnant of an "Arms and Armour" style great sword?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hello, nice piece, i think this is an example A SPANISH COLONIAL SWORD: ESPADA ANCHA,
    like this
    A SPANISH COLONIAL SWORD ESPADA ANCHA : Lot 278

Valentin

Thanks for the help guys, I will relay the info. Good spotting Valentin

No problem, if you have any riddles, especially in case of european swords, just contact me