Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Kukri Knife

Article about: Forgive me, wasn't sure which section this one belonged in! Picked this one up from a show last year, a last minute purchase on the way out that cost me £30. The seller informed me it was of

Default Kukri Knife

Forgive me, wasn't sure which section this one belonged in!

Picked this one up from a show last year, a last minute purchase on the way out that cost me £30. The seller informed me it was of World War 1 vintage, although from the research I've been able to do it is in fact much older. I'm almost certain it's a traditional Nepalese one, clearly made by hand. It was in a box with several others, all in fairly bad shape.
    I scrubbed off the surface rust that was on the blade, for fear of it spreading. Apart from that the tarnishing is minimal.
    There also appears to be some sort of marking on the base of the handle, although I have absolutely no idea what it is or what it means.

Would be very interested to know more about this one, as it's very much outside my area of interest and was bought more as a curio than an item of militaria.

Many thanks.

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kukri Knife   Kukri Knife  

Kukri Knife   Kukri Knife  

Kukri Knife  

MAP
    ?

know nothing about these. But they sure are nasty looking. Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default Kukri

It certainly looks like a 19th century example. The WW1 Kukri had two rivets holding the grips in place. Be aware that WW1 patterns are heavily faked. A useful website is...International Kukri Research and Historical Society » IKRHS » Kukri » Khukuri » Gurkha » Military Knives

Here is an example of a wwi piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kukri Knife 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by MAP View Post
    know nothing about these. But they sure are nasty looking. Congrats!
    Can't deny the savagery of the thing. Even though it was designed as a tool, and is used as one, you hear tales even today of the Gurkhas using them in combat. A legendary type of blade from a legendary group of warriors, and I think that's what drew me to it more than anything. The fact that it's associated with so much heroism and bravery.

B.B.

- - ------- - -

Is anyone able to identify the marking on the base? I assume it's a Nepalese character of some kind, or perhaps an arsenal marking.

B.B.