Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M.84/98 Sawback

Article about: Well, while going through that footlocker where I found my troddel, I decided to take some pic's of my sawback while it was out. I do like this one and used to have it on my Kar98a when they

?

Default M.84/98 Sawback

Well, while going through that footlocker where I found my troddel,
    I decided to take some pic's of my sawback while it was out.

I do like this one and used to have it on my Kar98a when they were displayed on my rifle rack. But with having Kids around, I decided I needed a safe to keep them out of their grubby little hands
    M.84/98 Sawback
    The scabbard throat. Interesting it has that piece on the mouth.
    M.84/98 Sawback
    And the maker of this Bad Boy!
    Click to enlarge.
    M.84/98 Sawback

I hope you like it!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

I like it Phil. One I want to add to my collection one day!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice one Phil spose ya don't need it to cut up fire wood there in Aridzona? hope the water supply is good there as my mate in Prescott is winging about the Californians moving out your way

Very nice example Phil!

?

LMAO!!!No chopping with this guy. It doesn't get cold enough here for that!!!
    But, Yes they are moving here and mainly up north.
    I was hoping for the Big one to hit, so that Cali would be come and Island and we would have beach front property...
    Oh well! The year is early!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Franz Koeller & Cie, more known for making cutlery, desks sets and pens, did make S84/98 bayonets between 1915-17. This saw back type fits exactly into that 1915-17 period of manufacture. Very nice and with absence of other marks, a private purchase piece, probably bought by an NCO.

?

Thank you Gent's for looking and the compliments. She is one of favorites.

Also big thank you to Anderson for that information about this maker and my bayonet.

I kind of knew it was WW1, But with what you wrote about the maker, that confirms it's use down to a specific time frame.
    Excellent information , a Big Thank You for that.

Anderson,
    There is what looks like an acceptance stamp on the top of the blades ricasso , But there is no Cypher with a date stamp.

Would this still mean private purchase??

When I was taking those photo's I thought "Should I take a pic of that" I then thought maybe keep it out just in case someone has a question.... But wiped her down and put her back in the footlocker (which is under and ammo crate which is topped with my copies of the Album De La Guerre).

But I will dig it back out if needed to get an answer.

Semper Fi
    Phil

If there is no "W" with crown and number (15 to 17 ) on spine of blade, then it is a private purchase example. Remember Government inspectors were based at the point of manufacture and would mark blade blanks. For an occassional bayonet maker like Koeller, I would suspect they didn't make the blades but got them from another maker.

?

Thank you Anderson,
    I'll have to get it out again and take a photo of the mark I'm talking about. It has my interest in seeing what it is.
    It is right below where you would normally see the cypher. Where they put the inspection stamp.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Here we go.
    I kept it out just in case I need a clear pic. This is from my phone. If needed I use my wife's!!

Please let me know what your thought's are on this marking.

M.84/98 Sawback
    Cropped it.
    M.84/98 Sawback

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast