Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1924 Long Bayonet Help Please

Article about: I have not been able to figure out what country Mauser exported these to. My knowledge thus far that I believe to be accurate. They were also produced by FN both pre and post war. I am assum

Default M1924 Long Bayonet Help Please

I have not been able to figure out what country Mauser exported these to. My knowledge thus far that I believe to be accurate. They were also produced by FN both pre and post war. I am assuming this one is Mauser.
    Mauser made for export, pre-war. Pre-war in the white and post war are blued, phosphate or other.
    Blade length 15", 38 CM, overall 20", 51 CM
    Muzzle ring is 15.5 mm

The scabbard hole for the stud has been modified by someone.

The only marking, other than the numbers, is on the tip of the scabbard.

The options I came up with are Venezuela, Indonesia, or Belgium. I could not find another one numbered on the side of the pommel.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John

M1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help Please

?

I assume the frog is for spanish Bayonet, so wrong here, secondly this is a long bayonet FN M1924 the screws are not typical for post 1930 period, so there is only small posibilitys where it should be exported, could You provide of spine of handle and spine of blade near crossguard? Similar serialing is too strange on side of pommel.

Thank you for the information. Attached are additional pics.
    John

M1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help PleaseM1924 Long Bayonet Help Please

?

Thanks for pictures, the early production is this not, is about 1930 and later even the screws are not typical for 30ies, it could be it went to China this contract, or were not delivered and used on other small contract, personally never saw a similar side pommel full marking of serial number of rifle, in VanderLinden book is no mentioning of similar contract. Indonesia and Belgium are not real, and Venezuela used a serial on pommel on other place. Is possible the serial was done in war or postwar by later using. Is no reported so high numbers by FN, because they used mainly the non letter prefix or suffix system,it could be serialed to Vz.24 or Gew98 rifles? on pommel end where the rifle slot is opened, are there any serials?

Thank you AndyB. No serial number on end of pommel. There is not any signs of numbers being removed on the end of pommel but t could have been done long enough ago to not be obvious. I could not find anything on the inspector mark on the ball tip of the scabbard either. The numbers on the side of the pommel could have been added post WW2. I did not find anything on a Chinese contract angle but that will give me something else to look for. Thanks.
    John

?

The letter in box is typical proof of belgian FN production. You should look at FN M1924 rifles.

Thank you AndyB. I thought I knew something about WW2 rifles until I followed the lead on FN. They made rifles for many countries. I was shocked. It is likely the origin of this bayonet will not ever be known for certain. Too many variables to be certain. Exported contract to be sure.
    John

Hello,

These FN herstal M1924 bayonets have been exported to many countries.
    Based on the type of screw in the handles, this is a piece for 1931.

This variety with this type of serial number is described in Kiesling's book under number 277.
    It should be a variety without cleaning openings in the wooden handles. But your piece has this (!).

Kiesling does not provide any information about the use.

I think a South American state is quite realistic.

Thank you Sleepwalker.
    John