Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help to ID Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet markings

Article about: Hello I just received this Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet which is my first Russian/Soviet item and I'm having trouble identifying the markings. I've read that the rough finish is indicative of

?

Default Need help to ID Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet markings

Hello

I just received this Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet which is my first Russian/Soviet item and I'm having trouble identifying the markings. I've read that the rough finish is indicative of WW2 production but I can't seem to find any info on the markings that are present. Can anyone tell me the country and arsenal of manufacture?

Thanks
    Alex
    Need help to ID Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet markingsNeed help to ID Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet markingsNeed help to ID Mosin Nagant 91/30 bayonet markings

PRE
    ?

Alex,
    USSR at the Izhevsk arsenal.
    Your third picture shows the indicative Izhevsk 'arrow in triangle' marking that they used after 1928. The rest of the markings are likely inspector's markings, the exact nature of which I believe are currently unknown. Probably just more communist 'make work' types of otherwise unnecessary functions typical of that kind of 'government.'

Someday I'd love to find an untouched, un-reworked 91/30 bayonet and scabbard/frog in full pre-war/WWII trim. If I do, I think I'll probably go out and buy a lottery ticket, too...

Best,
    Pat

?

Thanks Pat. It was cheap so I thought it might be from a satellite country. Good news that it's from Izhevsk.

Alex

PRE
    ?

No problem, glad I could help. Do you have a 91/30 to go with it?
    Best,
    Pat

?

No mosins yet. I had a beautiful all matching Chinese type 53 in my hands last weekend but the man in the gun shop showed me a near mint British P14 which I couldn't resist. When the bank balance recovers I think a mosin will be the next buy but I am leaning more towards the m44 carbine.

Alex

PRE
    ?

Ah, I see. The P14 is a far superior choice, well done!

Pat

?

The piece looks like a war production, its real this is already a romanian postwar refurbishment, on bayonet is not clear to see the Izhewsk maker stamp.b.r.Andy

PRE
    ?

I'm staying with Izhevsk on this one. The bottom part of the Izhevsk stamp was not struck as evenly as the top, making it appear somewhat like the (Romanian) Cugir stamp. The Soviets had plenty of facilities to inspect bayonets, and I doubt very much that they needed to send any to Romania, or any other Comm-Bloc nation, for that matter.

Pat

?

The piece could be produced by Izewsk, but the digits control marks are not typical for USSR more for Romania, many Mosins were send from USSR postwar to other comm.bloc countries, as Romanian changed or produced own Mosins, USSR already went to AK47 system. b.r.Andy

?

Thanks for the reply gents. It would be nice to be able to definitively state where this bayonet has been and what all the markings mean. Its a shame more information on these items isn't more readily available in the internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast