Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK

Article about: Any tought please on authenticity . For me it’s seems all original an complete. Leather Scabbard for shorter version ? Troodle also regarding colour? Let me know please

?

Default Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK

Any tought please on authenticity . For me it’s seems all original an complete. Leather Scabbard for shorter version ? Troodle also regarding colour?
    Let me know please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK   Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK  

Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK   Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK  

Attached Images Attached Images Need help IMPERIAL GERMAN S98 MODEL SAW BACK 

You have an authentic type 1898 bayonet with saw back blade, of the second type (nA). Prussian acceptance mark dates it to 1906, it has the expected wider, square cut blade of the saw back version and this has been cut down at a later date to about 25cm length. I suspect the scabbard was not always paired with it, and when it was cut down it probably had a scabbard from either a S71/84 or S84/98. The troddel is imperial type representing 1st bataillon, kompanie 4, and in good condition.
    These saw back side arms were popular with NCO's and became an effective symbol of office and this one may well have been used well into the post WW1 period. It's a nice set.

?

Thank you for your reply . Does it mean it’s an unmessed original set ? Except for the Scabbard

Not entirely, the original bayonet blade was 520mm long so it's half the length of the original specification. The scabbard may also have been cut down in length. But such "messing" with, was a long time ago.

?

You should look at mouthpiece of scabbard, as S98 scabbards are tiny to compare other types, it could be a shortage as already mentioned, used as dress piece postwar. Maybe there is remains of nickel finish on blade?

The scabbard looks like if could be a cut down (shortened) Modell 98 combat one, but there are other possibilities. Clearly it does fit, though a bit too long. As I mentioned in my original post #2, there is a difference in blade width and shape (square edge versus rounded spine) between the combat blade and the saw back, and also that used on etched blades.

?

Both parts are diverted from normal service S98 bayonet, the frog looks like dress piece, so most real it was used after shortage as a Dress Bayonet for NCOs.

?

Thank you for your help,