Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pattern 1907 Bayonet

Article about: Hello folks. Picked this up as a companion piece for my SMLE. These are almost as iconic as the rifle they belong to, and are a very intimidating-looking piece of kit. This particular exampl

Default Pattern 1907 Bayonet

Hello folks.

Picked this up as a companion piece for my SMLE. These are almost as iconic as the rifle they belong to, and are a very intimidating-looking piece of kit. This particular example was manufactured by Enfield in 1915. The grips are in good shape, but the blade has seen better days. There are some areas of deep pitting, probably a result of it being stored inside the leather scabbard for many years. I have since rubbed it down with a damp teabag, and have given it a light coat of oil to prevent the formation of any new rust.

I do not know much about these bayonets, but going on the condition of the grip screws, I would guess that this example has not been refurbished. Apart from the aforementioned areas of pitting, the blade remains very sharp!

Pattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 Bayonet

Regards, B.B.

?

Very nice one! I love these bayos, here's mine.

Pattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 BayonetPattern 1907 Bayonet

I think I'm starting to love them too. I may start collecting them, in fact.

Guessing yours is a Lithgow-made example, going by the 'MA' stamp.

Regards, B.B.

The second one is a nice Orange Arsenal made 07 in 1942? If so that was the first year of production having started in July that year.

Very nice example Brodie and a good area to collect in as the price of these is still quite reasonable.

I have two in the collection including a Lithgow made one with a 7th Australian Lighthorse scabbard which my grandfather bought as a child. I will post them up at some point. The Lithgow Small arms factory is about an hour and a half’s drive from where I live and is now open as a small museum. I’d love a 1907 pattern with hooked quillion one day but as you may be aware the hooks were ground down and original examples are quite scarce and expensive and not to mention also faked.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Very nice example Brodie and a good area to collect in as the price of these is still quite reasonable.

I have two in the collection including a Lithgow made one with a 7th Australian Lighthorse scabbard which my grandfather bought as a child. I will post them up at some point. The Lithgow Small arms factory is about an hour and a half’s drive from where I live and is now open as a small museum. I’d love a 1907 pattern with hooked quillion one day but as you may be aware the hooks were ground down and original examples are quite scarce and expensive and not to mention also faked.

Andy
    I looked at a couple of hooked quillon examples, but I wanted a bayonet that matched the year and manufacturer of the rifle I've attached it to. The hooked quillon is an interesting variation, but not worth the difference in price in my eyes.

Feel free to post those bayonets here whenever you get around to it. Let's turn this into a Pattern 1907 bayonet appreciation thread!

B.B.

Brodie, agree regarding the additional price of the hooked quillion. I guess the main reason I would want one as it may stand a chance of having been used at Gallipoli in 1915.

Andy

Orange was a feeder factory for Lithgow, not operating separately.

They were a feeder factory but as far as I’m aware, they assembled complete bayonets.

It is my understanding that the Orange Annex factory opened on 15 March 1942 and Lithgow ceased all bayonet production after July 1942. Orange produced all of Australia's P1907 bayonets from Aug 1942 until the end of WW2. I have heard that there were a small number of P1907 bayonets assembled in Lithgow made from existing components, after their bayonet factory had closed in July 1942, but I haven't seen one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast