Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help identify sword bayonet

Article about: Hello! Yesterday I have seen strange "sword bayonet". I'm not even sure if that's true bayonet... I do not see button or spring on it's handle. I have never seen anything like it b

?

Question Please help identify sword bayonet

Hello!

Yesterday I have seen strange "sword bayonet".
    I'm not even sure if that's true bayonet... I do not see button or spring on it's handle.
    I have never seen anything like it before
    It seen very strange and uncommon.
    Does it original authentic (may be German?) bayonet?
    Or is it modern fantasy ?
    What do you think?

Total lenght without scabbard: 768 mm
    Blade lenght: 658 mm
    Blade width: 30 mm
    Scabbard's lenght: 683 mm
    Please help identify sword bayonetPlease help identify sword bayonet

?

hello its possible this is a Sidearm or dress bayonet wout possibility of attach on rifle, the direction could be a german Grenzjaeger or Grenzaufseher?

Certainly appears to be a dress type, but the blade is oddly off centre and may be a replacement blade. Doesn't look quite correct.

?

The dress pieces were not destined for rifle, so this could be one of the small german countries around 1850-60 period, i would look at Baden, Wurttemberg ot other small states, the hook on scabbard could help to destiny to but is here missing.I would recomend add it on german forum. Is the handle hollow? how is fixed the blade tang in grip? with side rivet only?

Unusual blade for a yataghan type bayonet in that it's diamond section and appears to be double edged on at least part (most?) of the length. Most yataghans tend to have a fuller and mostly single edged, except near the tip.

?

I have got answer from german forum, this bayonets should be listed in Vial Atlas de la Bajonette de Collection Band 3 under Number 1983 , producer could be Wilhelm Suhl. There is a posibility of as Sachsen Meiningen bayonet, but this is not confirmed by any german source, the piece should be attachable, unfortunally here is not visible the main part the hole in pommel and details of handle.

?

I took some photos in the store.
    I never seen anything like it before.
    And I do not understand how this "bayonet" was supposed to be attached to the rifle...

Please help identify sword bayonetPlease help identify sword bayonetPlease help identify sword bayonet

?

As you can see it has "hole" in slot.
    According to my "theory" if rifle has some "push button", then it may realy to adjoin with it strange "bayonet"...
    Please help identify sword bayonet

?

Yes this bayonet was attachable on rifle the hole is for locking device, which was most real located on rifle front buttstock part,with operating from the rifle side and not on bayonet as obviously by bayonets with locking lug. There is roman numeral on barell ring crosspiece VI-6. Tang of blade is corectly hited on end of pommel.

?

The german collector have nr.11 probably, he have complete name on blade Wilhelm/Suhl, E.W. could be shortage for this firm? the scabbard has a oval knob. It should be small contract piece. It should be measured the barell ring MRD.
    On the german collector pcs is mentioned a 20,2mm MRD, should be measured here. Which means was with 13,9mm or larger caliber, also a percussion rifle with high possibility of 1850-62 period is real as similar EW marking was found on Dornstutzen and some Haubajonets, this should be small number contract, possible for Schutzmannschaft rifle or local county. The rifle should be firstly examined as the locking system should be unique.
    E.Wilhelm Suhl is confirmed as maker.
    Last edited by AndyB; 06-04-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast