Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895

Article about: I am in urgent need of ANY information anyone can provide on the maker’s mark or symbol that’s on the bayonet SCABBARD I have. My mom is really wanting me to research faster, LOL, becaus

Default PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895

I am in urgent need of ANY information anyone can provide on the maker’s mark or symbol that’s on the bayonet SCABBARD I have. My mom is really wanting me to research faster, LOL, because I have quite a few knives to evaluate for sale, like…ASAP. Since I’m a complete novice, research is extremely interesting, extremely time consuming, and extremely overwhelming at times. I’m fairly certain my bayonet is a German made, Chilean issued M1895. The maker is Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co, Solingen, but on the other side there are 2 markings on the ricasso: a Chilean Crest stamp and a 3–circle Krupp steel stamp. And there’s a tiny random “Y” on the grip right at the crosspiece. The number on the crosspiece seems to have been smoothly ground down a long time ago.

OKAY… So, my dilemma is the scabbard. It fits the bayonet perfectly, but I’m questioning and wondering if they actually go together. I have looked at so many bayonets and scabbards and pages of marking’s and thousands of symbols that I’m actually getting a bit frustrated, because I realized that a LOT of people take terrible pictures and often don’t even photograph ALL the markings! Especially ones on a scabbard’s finial and rim, which is where the 2 identical symbols are stamped on mine. There are no other markings on the scabbard, whatsoever. I would be so thankful if some or one of you could help me with this mystery symbol!!! So, here are the pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895   PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895  

PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895   PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895  

PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895  

Those are Inspection Stamps...

Thanks, it’s been seriously driving me absolutely f-ing nuts! That makes a lot of sense as to why I’ve found only 2 similar examples in 2 freaking days of searching... BUT, I must apologize very much, bc now I have a couple more questions…..either for you or for any other knowledgeable awesome person(s) on this site… If it’s a German-made and stamped, Chilean-issued and stamped M1895 bayonet with the ‘serial’ # ground off strangely, WHO (or WHAT company) actually used that weird ‘inspection’ mark on the scabbard that was so difficult to find?! The “O+”-looking symbol with a dot inside the O; well, I really haven’t a clue yet, but it seems kind of rare. Is there any way to know if the scabbard is rare or common and if it ACTUALLY GOES with the bayonet? Or is it a mismatched pair? THANK YOU so much for your help and possibly anyone else’s help. I think the bayonet is actually kind of common, besides it missing a serial #. I just don’t want to keep the pair together if they don’t belong.

SINCERELY,

~Jaime

This is what it should look like...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PLEASE HELP. Unidentifiable stamp symbol on metal scabbard of German made Chilean issued M1895  

Hello Jaime ....Its German made by the producer logo WKC ..Weyersburg Kirschbaum and Cie and may have been an export to Chile.

Moderator Anderson or some of the other Bayo Masters can comment further on the Inspection stamps Glenn has stated or any other marks related.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you very much, Larry. I really am so appreciative of this website and the great community of people I kinda just happily stumbled upon one very personally sad and stressful day when I finally decided to try to sell most, but not all, of my dad’s knife and war memorabilia (Nazi) collection I’ve had for the past 11 years since he died in 2011.

I hope SO MUCH that a “Bayo Master” (or 2) reads my first post and just IMMEDIATELY recognizes that weird elusive little stamp!!! I REALLY need to know whose symbol that is. It is truly important to me for multiple reasons to find out all I can about this collection, and I have surprisingly become quite addicted to following the many trails of ‘knowledge crumbs’. It is so exciting, even sometimes when there’s conflicting information. I feel a strong COMPULSION and great NEED to learn and be knowledgeable of these wonderful pieces of historical art in a way that my dad was unable to be/do before he died. It’s now just up to me. Dad and I are Marine vets.

I’ve always been a tomboy artist and “the son dad never really had” . My older, absolutely wonderful, extremely busy and super (much more) financially successful sister (who is 1,000mi. away in Jersey) would really ONLY be interested and willing to PAY some expert or agency to do all the work at once (with no interest in history or art or engineering or war, etc. etc.) to get a quick little check to cash.

The knowledge learned about the things my dad enjoyed and collected and the GREAT AMOUNT of time it takes to research these things is much more valuable and enjoyable to me….Dang, I apologize, I ramble so much like my dad did. Anyways…Thank you, and everyone else, for your time, patience, and expertise. I look forward to learning from y’all. Roll Tide!!

~Jaime
    Last edited by Larry C; 10-06-2022 at 03:09 PM.

?

In reality the marking are as mentioned proof stamps, various type were found on chilean contract, but on scabbard mainly this type could be found. For details should be examined rifles as the M1895 bayonet was only part of rifle contract, about the 3 circle stamp is too not confirmed is Krupp steel.

The bayonet and scabbard are both correct for a Chilean M1895 bayonet made by W. K. & C., with blade supplied by Krupp (a subcontractor). As Glenn has already said the orb mark on the finial ball and scabbard throat are Chilean military acceptance marks, approving quality. Other types can be found and may relate to a particular inspector. These marks are common to find on these bayonets. Nothing to worry about, all good.