Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Preservation Help

Article about: Hello everyone! I as recently cleaning and reorganizing the house, upon which I came across the Pattern 1907 bayonet I collected a while ago. However, I'm sad to find that during my absence

Default Preservation Help

Hello everyone!
    I as recently cleaning and reorganizing the house, upon which I came across the Pattern 1907 bayonet I collected a while ago. However, I'm sad to find that during my absence due to work, I found the pommel of my P1907 rusting much to my chagrin. The situation is as shown below.

Preservation Help

I did consider WD-40 as my first option, but realized it wouldn't do quite well with the wooden grips if the came into contact, so I might use it as a preservant for metal areas in the future but certainly not for now. Second, I considered using dipping it into a cup of vinegar and baking soda to remove the rust, since it was conveniently limited to the pommel and not elsewhere.
    Anyway, I am rather displeased to find rust, but I suppose it was better to have realized it now then later, being currently stationed in the far east with humidity certainly doesn't make things easier! If possible, I would be greatly grateful for any suggestions or tips for what I should do or look out for in the future. Thank you!

P.S The leather scabbard of my P1907 does seem rather fragile, I'm always worried that after retracting and inserting the bayonet into its scabbard a number of times later, it might be torn away. Is that normal?

?

I would not add any chemicals as still remains of blueing in area of press button, coat into gun oil, and gently clean with 0000 brass brush could clean the rust. the grips could be removed or waxed prior the cleaning. The soda or vinegar will remove even the blue coat.

I looked at the original photos of the bayonet, and realized the pommel was bright and shiny in the past, yet a few months away due to work has led it to rust. The rust is limited to only the pommel itself, and not the blade. If possible, I would wish to be able to restore the pommel to the state I received it. I don't dare use Brasso, though I certainly used it on everything back in my army days.
    I have read using Kroil rust penetrator or WD40 works, but I'm curious whether it could ever be restored to its original shiny state without damaging the bayonet? Thank you.

?

I would remove the grips if you are going to use any type of penetrating oils to remove the rust.

After all these years, That wood is dry and will suck up that oil.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I would remove the grips if you are going to use any type of penetrating oils to remove the rust.

After all these years, That wood is dry and will suck up that oil.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thank you, I do not know or dare to remove the grips out of fearing my clumsiness and inexperience would end in another fiasco. I've been spraying WD-40 onto a piece of cotton, and wiping it on to it. Someone has suggested that after spraying it with WD-40, I should gently clean it with 0000 grade wire wool. I have managed to acquire such items and do plan on proceeding it. I do pray that it does its job.