Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?

Article about: Hello all, I found this German made bayonet over the weekend... owner had it listed as an old reproduction. As I was looking at it, I noticed that it appeared to be an original WW1 bayonet.

Default Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?

Hello all,

I found this German made bayonet over the weekend... owner had it listed as an old reproduction. As I was looking at it, I noticed that it appeared to be an original WW1 bayonet. The maker mark is on the ricasso, but lacks any type of military acceptance stamps. The leather scabbard appears old... it could be a reproduction and is in fairly decent shape (F I stamped). Once again, bluing on the metal fittings may not be correct.

The finish on the bayonet could’ve been added post war... I’m not too sure about a blue finish aver being on these bayonets. I haven’t removed the grips to inspect the tang for stamps/marks.

This piece was relatively cheap... I rolled the dice and bought it. Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?   Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?  

Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?   Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?  

Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?   Private purchase M1898 sawback sword bayonet?  

It's a repro. The finish and patina are not there, the locking lug is not sitting flush (a common problem with repros), makers mark a poor copy. But the owner did tell you, and might be useful in a display.

Thanks Anderson... yes, I can use in a display. It was cheap and can still use. Thanks for the assessment.

?

Its allways nice when they say correctly that is a repro as mentioned it would be original, strange is the FI marking on hook as this is a brazilian factory, has nothing do with germans.
    Link to maker stamp.
    Redirect Notice