Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

private purchased German WWI Armeedolch

Article about: Hi guys, what do you make out of this?, is this WWI period?, have read that these are not encountered very often, regards, Juan

Default private purchased German WWI Armeedolch

Hi guys, what do you make out of this?, is this WWI period?, have read that these are not encountered very often, regards, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture private purchased German WWI Armeedolch   private purchased German WWI Armeedolch  

private purchased German WWI Armeedolch   private purchased German WWI Armeedolch  

CBH
    ?

It looks WWII to me , almost a factory converted dress bayonet made into a combat knife . I love the sheath .

Thanks Chris, thought it was WWI, great you like it, think the Price is also good 140 Euros negotiable

CBH
    ?

I'm not up on prices these days , I'd wait for more opinions on that detail .

Looks very similar to a dress bayonet I used to have , but mine include mounting slot and conventional frog .

I believe it was Fireman bayonet , but I'm not sure . Good Luck

This is likely a TR dress sidearm. The button gives it the appearance that it is a bayonet when worn but as stated, no mounting slot. This is the wrong sheath for this piece, it is for a fighting knife.
    IMO, this was done to give the impression that this (less than complete dress sidearm) was worn as a fighting knife, hence, more desirable, (= more money). This is definitely a bayonet blade, not a fighting knife. I think the sidearm is nice and it is a shame that it is missing the button, which will be difficult to locate as it is not the same as a real bayonet button. The sheath appears nice and complete and might be worth the larger part of the 140. euros alone.
    I believe I have one similar at home and will try to find it and upload photos later.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Well, it appears that I do not actually have a TR example to show but I hope with these photos I will be able to show what I am talking about.

The top two fighting knives have no mortise slot or button.
    The next three have a button but no mortise slot. (fake button).
    The top five are fighting knives and have a different blade than the bottom three.
    The bottom three have the bayonet blade, the Imperial stag handled one with nickel fittings has a working button and mortise slot. The black handled one second from the bottom has a non-working button,(fake button), but it has a mortise slot. The bottom one has no button but it has a mortise slot.

Could the one originally posted have been used as a fighting knife? Of course it could have but it is still not technically a fighting knife.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph for your great explanation and for showing all your knives and bayonets, so just to make sure I fully understand, the one I posted has a scabbard of a fighting knife, the blade is a bayonet most likely used as a fighting knife and both belong to the TR era, what about the button on the leather, is it original in your opinion?, if I may ask, what is the mortise slot, just tried to find out but do not suceed to know what is it, regards, Juan

If you didn t notice the blade is from maker Puma, also I assume that this one is worth collecting, just to make sure

Hello Juan,
    The sheath is likely a WW I item, as far as I know, all WW II fighting knives had a clip instead of a leather strap. The button on the strap may or may not be original, I am not sure as there are no markings that I can see. The mortise slot is the slot for attaching to a rifle.
    IMO, it is still collectible, just not complete.
    Ralph.

Thanks Ralph, will get more pictures from the seller

Maybe I should not have said that ALL WW II fighting knife sheaths had a clip as I am sure that someone will be able to prove me wrong.
    Of course, this is all just my opinion.
    There are many others who study these as much or more than I do. I just have a love for all things with sharp edges.

Ralph.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast