Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAD with the French Labell Bayonet

Article about: As WW I loomed on the horizon, no army had as much faith in the spirit of the bayonet as France. The concept was “attaque à outrance” - the idea that massed French infantry could conque

?

Default RAD with the French Labell Bayonet

As WW I loomed on the horizon, no army had as much faith in the spirit of the bayonet as France. The concept was “attaque à outrance” - the idea that massed French infantry could conquer an objective at the point of their bayonets though sheer élan. They were mistaken. The French even nicknamed their bayonet “Rosalie” after a song of the era. The Germans called the French bayonets “knitting needles.”

These are two Model 1886 Lebel bayonets. The French called this style an épée bayonet, after the épée sword used in fencing, because of the cruciform cross section of the blade. Both bayonets have 20 ½ inch (52.7 cm) long blades, but they can be found in various lengths as the blades were often repointed when the tip broke off in field use. The French also modified many of these bayonets in 1935 by shortening them.

Originally the bayonets had a nickel-silver handle and a hooked quillion. By 1916, with the need to conserve nickel for the war effort, the handles were made of brass. About the same time they were manufactured without the quillion, I assume because the French discovered the quillions were more apt to get caught on equipment straps than catch the downward thrust of an enemy bayonet.
    There are other variations, but basically:
    from 1886 till 1916: Nickel steel handle, hooked quillion, a bit over 25 inches long overall.
    1916 - 1935: Same as above but without the quillion and with a brass handle. Many older bayonets had the quillions removed.
    1935 through WWII: same as above, but shortened to 18 inches. Many older bayonets were also shortened.
    Also after 1935, some bayonets were made with blued steel handles.
    Bayonets that had tips broken off were often re-sharpened, so that some bayonets are neither the long or the short length.
    Information credit: Chrisnp, Collectors Weekly
    Color photo credit: Chrisnp, Collectors weekly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD with the French Labell Bayonet  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Rad man from GAU III Wartheland-West ( Posen ) Abt. 6/35 Ritschenwalde, with the longer style..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD with the French Labell Bayonet   RAD with the French Labell Bayonet  

?

Rad man from an unknown Abt. with a longer version with Quillion..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD with the French Labell Bayonet   RAD with the French Labell Bayonet  

?

Rad men from Abt. 4/38 an unknown location with even a shorter style, no quillion, interesting to note, we see these in use by two Abt. from GAU III

PRE
    ?

Great photos, thanks for sharing! I like the photos of RAD personnel as they frequently show captured foreign equipment and arms in use.

The Germans also modified Lebel bayonets (but apparently not Berthier bayonets) following a 1942 dated order. The tips were made more pointed, blade length reduced to 13 3/8", the scabbard was shortened to match and the tip of the scabbard was closed with a domed end that was fixed to the rest by a transverse rivet.

Pat

?

Many thanks for the additional information !

PRE
    ?

No problem at all. Photos are better to illustrate the differences, so here are a few photos of my German capture example. Note how the K98k bayonet frog was modified to accommodate the hang bar of the Lebel bayonet scabbard.

Best,
    Pat

RAD with the French Labell Bayonet  

?

You have there some wrong information firstly the Lebel M1886 was used by Lebel M86/93 rifles prior 1WW, then the M1886/15 model wout hook on crossguard was introduced for M07/15 and M16 Berthier rifles, in handle there is no nickel steel but nickel-silver alloy special called by french, brass was used since 1915 and the iron handle was used in late WW1 only. I assume as majority of bayonets were made in WW1 postwar was only few produced or mainly refurbished old storages.
    The second soldier of RAD is wearing german S98/05 bayonet not Lebel. The third RAD soldier wear a very short version of Lebel. b.r.Andy
    The correct name as german shortage pictured by PRE was S103(f) with 34cm blade when remember corectly.

?

AndyB, Thanks for the response, As posted, I was using information from a website, as these are not my forte', and I used the article for illustration purposes based on that post. I do see now that the one bayonet in question is different, many thanks for the update. G