MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up at the weekend as it was not something I recognised. The only similar bayonets I can find in my references are bayonets issued to New Zealand and the Irish Constabul

Default Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet

Hi all. I picked this up at the weekend as it was not something I recognised. The only similar bayonets I can find in my references are bayonets issued to New Zealand and the Irish Constabulary. It looks more like the Irish Constabulary bayonet but there are differences. The only markings are some poorly stamped NN (and possibly C) on the ricasso and pommel. There is also a faint Broad Arrow and EFD for Enfield on the grip. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet   Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet  

Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet   Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet  

Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet   Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet  

Snider Rifle Sawback Bayonet  

Interesting find. I believe the New Zealand Armed Constabulary ones will have a "9/81" mark on the ricasso, indication date of contract or acceptance. So this is not likely to be a NZ one. Other possible user could be Indian colonial.

I did wonder if it could be Indian issue as the grips seem different to British bayonets.