MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

(still) unknown combat knife ! ...

Article about: This model will probably keep me busy! A few days ago there was another one offered in an internet auction house and nobody wanted to bid on it (well, it's vacation time ... ). I then named

Question (still) unknown combat knife ! ...

This model will probably keep me busy!

A few days ago there was another one offered in an internet auction house and nobody wanted to bid on it (well, it's vacation time ... ).

I then named an immediate purchase price at which I was finally able to buy the knife even after the end of the auction, because no one had bid until then.

Still in really good condition and also here on the sheath of the (but rather crudely made) knife, a comparatively complex locking strap with a rolling pin closure, as is also the case with German combat knives and army daggers the World War and from the era of the Weimar Republic.

Couldn't find any stamps but the scabbard has a personification!
    There's a W (or M) scratched into the wooden grip plate.

The dimensions (approx.):
    Blade length: 165mm
    Handle length including crossguard thickness (3 mm): 123 mm
    Total length: 288mm
    Blade thickness: 4 mm
    Blade width: 25mm

Dagger blade ground on both sides with central ridge
    Wooden grips riveted twice
    Locking strap with a "Rolldorn" rolling mandrel

I damn, (sry. ´bout that ..), well want to finally know in which army this combat knife was used and when!
    For at least ten years I've been trying to find out which provenance this knife model belongs to...

Maybe someone can finally enlighten me and give me my peace as a collector! ...

(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...

(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...(still) unknown combat knife ! ...

?

You are probably the best Expert on these knives already, from the rough mashining i would tend to WW2 emergency production, not fitted corectly the grips, the shape of tip is strange as not usable as a combat knife. It was probably worked in smaller workshop. The leather stiching is done by hand, and holes for buckle pin in safety strap are not done proffesionally by tool, which looks like not good leather work here. Interestingly grips are dyed here red? the M or W could be unfortunally used by both alphabets, even the W would rule out many countries, upside down M could be still used in cyrilica too. Is the blade sharp to cut something? as it looks in area of edge like blunted? Crossguard was used already from rusted material, when look at trace of filling?

?

Maybe I am completely wrong but the knife reminds me of a Wilkinson Survival knife with a reground blade...
    Last edited by Hombre; 10-01-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Quote by Hombre View Post
    Maybe I am completely wrong bit the knife reminds me of a Wilkinson Survival knife with a reground blade...
    So many ? ...

unknown fighting knives ...

?

I shall see if I can find a picture in one of my books...

?

hi, since I make some knives myself I can tell you that yours seems to be a dagger invented and made completely by hand. there are too many grinding marks and obvious traces of crudely executed filings. Furthermore, the grip rivets are misaligned and hammered. general workmanship not very refined. I also doubt that it is hardened steel, it could be iron. try scratching it with a file, you'll notice it immediately.

Ultiomo, too many of this knife model have appeared over the years.

This pattern was definitely manufactured in small workshops across the country (as you indicated), as was the Mannlicher Ersatzbajonett, (replacement bayonet), M95, the "French Nail", or the "Sten".

?

This all we known for long time, there was a possibility its a WW2 knife made in east european countries, i believe romania could be real on this, small workshop realisation, with small differences. Should be inspected from where they came.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast